[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Pakistani Brain Virus

mhendric@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mitch Hendrickson) (02/13/89)

What USEFUL information can somebody EMAIL me regarding the Pakistani Brain
virus?  We seem to have a bit of it running around here.  I've managed to
stay clean (as far as I can tell), but I'm mighty curious...

--

Mitch Hendrickson
mhendric@jarthur.claremont.edu  OR  mhendric@jarthur.uucp  OR

cudcd@warwick.ac.uk (Simon Musgrave) (02/24/89)

In article <204@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mhendric@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mitch Hendrickson) writes:
>What USEFUL information can somebody EMAIL me regarding the Pakistani Brain
>virus?  We seem to have a bit of it running around here.  I've managed to
>stay clean (as far as I can tell), but I'm mighty curious...

Our experience of the Brain virus is that it can be located by CHKDSK, which
reports 3K of bad sectors, normally 5K is the minimum. Depending on the state
of the disk, it will have a volume label (c) Brain. It resides in the boot
sector and elsewhere (in sectors it marks as bad), and it spreads by infecting
a machine at bootup time, even if you first boot with a non system disk. It
will then copy itself onto every disk that uses that machine. It will only
reside on 360K disks, and does not seem to be malicious as far as we can tell.
We have only seen version 9. There are innoculation programs written in the
U.K., details on request.

UUCP:   ...!mcvax!ukc!warwick!cudcd	PHONE:  +44 203 523059
JANET:  cudcd@uk.ac.warwick             ARPA:   cudcd@warwick.ac.uk
Simon Musgrave,
Computing Services, Warwick University, Coventry CV4 7AL, England