[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Binary Editor Wanted

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/19/89)

I have a package called FM, File Modify, by a company called Caltech
CCO.  It says copyright 1985, and I have no idea how I got it.  It's
probably pirated.

Also try Lulay Software, 503-342-8298.  Their Lulay Backdoor is advertised
as a decent hex editor.

But, what I *really* need is a binary/hex editor with CUT AND PASTE!
What a concept: they don't exist.  Not even delete.  "Oh, that's too
dangerous" the critics cry, you could completely mung anything you're
working on.  Of course, that's a power tool!  Now I have to write C code
to delete a couple stray bites out of a data file, etc.  It really grabs
my gizzard.

--
O---------------------------------------------------------------------->
| Cliff Joslyn, Cybernetician at Large
| Systems Science, SUNY Binghamton, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu
V All the world is biscuit shaped. . .

burleigh@silver.bacs.indiana.edu (frank burleigh) (02/19/89)

In article <1951@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu> vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

>But, what I *really* need is a binary/hex editor with CUT AND PASTE!
>What a concept: they don't exist.  Not even delete.  "Oh, that's too
>dangerous" the critics cry, you could completely mung anything you're
>working on.  Of course, that's a power tool!  Now I have to write C code
>to delete a couple stray bites out of a data file, etc.  It really grabs
>my gizzard.

You folks might try WordPerfect Corp's Program Editor, which is part of
their Library 2.0 group of utilities.  While PE is meant as a straight
text editor, you can turn "interpret" off and load anything, including
program files.  I don't see any reason why you couldn't then use the
normal cut/delete/paste features of the editor.  It will also show the
file in hex mode by turning on `reveal,' though that will only appear
int he bottom half of the screen.

--
Frank Burleigh
USENET: ...rutgers!iuvax!silver!burleigh BITNET: BURLEIGH@IUBACS.BITNET

rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) (02/22/89)

In article <1951@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu>, vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) writes:

> But, what I *really* need is a binary/hex editor with CUT AND PASTE!
> What a concept: they don't exist.  Not even delete.  "Oh, that's too
> dangerous" the critics cry, you could completely mung anything you're
> working on.  Of course, that's a power tool!  Now I have to write C code
> to delete a couple stray bites out of a data file, etc.  It really grabs
> my gizzard.

Look into Control Panel from Promark (800-321-9916).  In
addition to being a very good PC menu/communication/utility
front-end, it allows editing of both ASCII and binary files.

I have known these people for many years, and the quality of
their products is excellent; prices are good too!

pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) (02/24/89)

A few days ago, someone posted HEXEDI.ARC (or HEXEDT.ARC) to IBMSYS on
CompuServe.  It is claimed to be a cut and paste hex editor.

Pete
--
Pete Holsberg                   UUCP: {...!rutgers!}princeton!mccc!pjh
Mercer College			CompuServe: 70240,334

vu0112@bingvaxu.cc.binghamton.edu (Cliff Joslyn) (02/24/89)

In article <621@mccc.UUCP> pjh@mccc.UUCP (Pete Holsberg) writes:
>A few days ago, someone posted HEXEDI.ARC (or HEXEDT.ARC) to IBMSYS on
>CompuServe.  It is claimed to be a cut and paste hex editor.

Any chance of getting it to comp.binaries.ibm.pc?