[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Modem Advice Sought

john@agora.UUCP (John Cavanaugh) (02/20/89)

  Hi.  I need some advice about modems.  I am currently running a bbs on
my Dell System 200 and have a 2400 baud modem for it.  I am in the process
of bringing up a Unix leaf node site for myself where I can do my news and
mail from my machine rather than making a phone call to another
Unix box so I can do it.  My problem is that while I am using PC Pursuit
to make my phone calls all over the place right now, when PCP's 30 hour cap
goes into effect in May, my phone bill is going to go through the roof if
I keep using PCP.

  To combat this, I am thinking about buying either a HST or Trailblazer so
I can do all my communications stuff at high speed thereby cutting down on
the time I am actually on the phone.  The problem I have been having in
deciding what to do has been that, if I buy a Trailblazer, I can talk to
the Unix world (Uunet or one of my friends who have Trailblazers and Unix)
but have problems on my BBS end because the high speed modems that they
use are almost exclusively HST's.  On the other hand, if I get an HST to
talk to my BBS connections, I can't talk to the Trailblazers.

  I have called USR and Telebit to get information on both the new HST Dual
Standard and the new Telebit T1000 but from my preliminary knowledge, even
with these new products, the HST is still not going to be able to talk to
something that PEP's and vice versa.

  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has a solution or an
opinion on this.

 Thanks in advance.

 -John Cavanaugh                           ...!tektronix!tessi!agora!john
 "Thinking we're all getting older and wiser, when we're just getting old"
                                                          -David Gilmour

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (02/23/89)

In article <1385@agora.UUCP> john@agora.UUCP (John Cavanaugh) writes:

}  Hi.  I need some advice about modems.  I am currently running a bbs on
}my Dell System 200 and have a 2400 baud modem for it.  I am in the process
	[deleted]
}
}  To combat this, I am thinking about buying either a HST or Trailblazer so
}I can do all my communications stuff at high speed thereby cutting down on
}the time I am actually on the phone.  The problem I have been having in
}deciding what to do has been that, if I buy a Trailblazer, I can talk to
}the Unix world (Uunet or one of my friends who have Trailblazers and Unix)
}but have problems on my BBS end because the high speed modems that they
}use are almost exclusively HST's.  On the other hand, if I get an HST to
}talk to my BBS connections, I can't talk to the Trailblazers.

Get a Trailblazer.  They will be coming out with a V.32 upgrade soon.
The advantage to a Trailblazer is that it is upgradable, and after the
upgrade it will be compatible with both Trailblazers and HST.  Do not
get the T-1000 since it is not upgradable.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) (02/25/89)

>In article <1385@agora.UUCP> john@agora.UUCP (John Cavanaugh) writes:
>}  To combat this, I am thinking about buying either a HST or Trailblazer so
>}I can do all my communications stuff at high speed thereby cutting down on
>}the time I am actually on the phone.  The problem I have been having in
>}deciding what to do has been that, if I buy a Trailblazer, I can talk to
>}the Unix world (Uunet or one of my friends who have Trailblazers and Unix)
>}but have problems on my BBS end because the high speed modems that they

>Response 1 of 1 (1937) by jbayer at ispi on Fri 24 Feb 89 5:9
>[Jonathan Bayer]
>Get a Trailblazer.  They will be coming out with a V.32 upgrade soon.
>The advantage to a Trailblazer is that it is upgradable, and after the
>upgrade it will be compatible with both Trailblazers and HST.  Do not
>get the T-1000 since it is not upgradable.

If you get a Telebit, get the T2500.  It HAS V.32.  Note that the Telebit
Plus doesn't have the horsepower to handle the V.32 protocol without a BOARD
CHANGE.  That's right -- not a PROM swap.  The current pricing on this is
some $700!  (then again, the dual-standard unit is listing at $1700).

HST's are useful for Fidonet, but nearly useless on Usenet at present.  We
have one, and have advertised that fact, but have yet to accept a 9600-baud
call on it for uucp transfer....

--
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.     "Quality solutions at a fair price"