[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Low end PS/2 hard disks...

slezakm@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Mark Slezak) (02/25/89)

Hello -

I am looking for a hard disk, and while this seems to be a
fairly normal task I have found a way to make it interesting...

My computer is an IBM PS/2 Model 30 (ok, ok stop that giggling
now) and it appears to have a SCSI hard disk controler on it. I
have the two floppy model, yet somewhere I swear I read that the
Model 30 has a SCSI hard disk controler on it.

Questions:

	Am I correct? Is this 25 odd pin connector on the
	motherboard a SCSI controler?

        Who makes SCSI hard disks for the IBM in sizes under
	100Megs? (An 80 would do nicely, but a 40 would fit my
        budget better...)

        Does the Model 30 have the system power to run an external
	SCSI drive or do I have to get an internal one?

My desire for a SCSI drive is due to the fact I only have three slots (which
are currently filled (VGA, Modem, Imaging Board,) and I'd hate to give one
up for a drive controler...) Although if this is my only option, then out goes
the interal modem.

But if the odd pinned critter isn't a SCSI port does anyone know *WHAT* it is?

Thank's
Mark.
{tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU!slezakm
-

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) (02/26/89)

The PS/2-30 does NOT have a hard drove controller on the motherboard.
It has a connector for a hard drive and on 30' with hard drives, the
controller is on the drive.  The only way that I know of for you to put
a hard drive in one is to buy a controller and a drive (one slot) or buy
a special drive with the right kind of controller just like the one IBM
used.

Mike Loving          loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
                     . . . {hplabs,ucbvax,uunet}!cs.ucla.edu!loving

sba8_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Scott Barnes) (02/26/89)

In article <21001@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> loving@cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) writes:
>controller is on the drive.  The only way that I know of for you to put
>a hard drive in one is to buy a controller and a drive (one slot) or buy
>a special drive with the right kind of controller just like the one IBM
>used.

     I have a stock '30 with the IBM hard drive.  Is it possible to add
a second hard drive within the computer chassis?  If so, can anyone
recommend manufacturers, model numbers, etc.?  I can afford to lose a
slot for the controller card.

     Please send replies via E-mail.

SCOTT BARNES                         INTERNET: sba8_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu
University of Rochester              BITNET  : sba8_ltd@uordbv