[comp.sys.ibm.pc] PD/shareware floppy diag program available?

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (02/23/89)

Is anyone aware of a reasonably inexpensive (preferably PD or shareware)
diagnostic program for floppy disks on a PC?

I would prefer something that can test both 5.25" and 3.5" diskettes at
all relevant densities.

Alternatively, can anyone discuss the kinds of things a floppy diagnos-
tic program should do, and how they are typically done?  I'm not afraid
of writing something -- even if I have to do my own DOS or BIOS calls.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank."

ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Daniel A. Durbin) (02/24/89)

In article <20916@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>Is anyone aware of a reasonably inexpensive (preferably PD or shareware)
>diagnostic program for floppy disks on a PC?

	Microsystems Development
	4100 Moorpark Ave. #104
	San Jose, CA 95117 USA
	(408) 296-4000

	TEST DRIVE is a comprehensive floppy disk drive diagnostic
	tool. It accurately measures and displays important operating
	parameters, so that the exact operating condition of a drive can
	be determined. In addition, this manual will help in
	understanding the basics of disk operation, will help to analyze
	the test results, and recommend corrective procedures.

I have this file and can upload it to simtel20 and/or email it to anyone
interested.  I am in to way affiliated with Microsystems Development.

ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Daniel A. Durbin) (02/27/89)

	TestDriv.arc is a floppy diagnostic program and is posted on simtel
	in pd1:<msdos.dskutl>.  It does not support 3.5" or 1.2 meg floppies
	but the author may have released a newer version which does.

	SysOp: Cygnus X-1 BBS		| CIS: 73447,1744
	(805) 541-8505 (data)		| GEnie: D.DURBIN
	EL major at PolySlo		| ddurbin@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU