[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.0/PC-Cache

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/25/89)

I have the PC-CACHE program that comes with PCTOOLS V.5.  It works
with some of the other programs I have. But when I try to enter
WordPerfect 5.0, WP5 crashes during the loading process.  I don't
feel strongly about using PC-CACHE with WP5 -- WP5 contains it's own
cache or buffer system for frequently used files or overlays.  But I
am curious what's the problem.  Has anyone else found this problem.
It looks like WP5 can't find the files that it wants to load, when
PC-CACHE is resident.  I know that WP5 and PC-CACHE both use expanded
memory as a default. (Rest of my equipment:IBM PC, 20MB ST225 HD, 360k
and 1.2M floppies and SuperMulti I/O FDC, PC Option board, JRAMIII
PC memory board with 1.5M). Any ideas?

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705    mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

Snake@cup.portal.com (Dan g Sobel) (02/26/89)

>mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow)  Writes

>I have the PC-CACHE program that comes with PCTOOLS V.5.  It works
>with some of the other programs I have. But when I try to enter
>WordPerfect 5.0, WP5 crashes during the loading process.  I don't
>feel strongly about using PC-CACHE with WP5 -- WP5 contains it's own
>cache or buffer system for frequently used files or overlays.  But I
>am curious what's the problem.  Has anyone else found this problem.
>It looks like WP5 can't find the files that it wants to load, when
>PC-CACHE is resident.  I know that WP5 and PC-CACHE both use expanded
>memory as a default. (Rest of my equipment:IBM PC, 20MB ST225 HD,>360k
>and 1.2M floppies and SuperMulti I/O FDC, PC Option board, JRAMIII
>PC memory board with 1.5M). Any ideas?

 Well Michael, suprise, I wasn't even able to get Desktop or Shell to
 run under the New PC-Cache.  I kept getting lock-up when I tried to
 hot key to them.  I finally replaced the 5.0 Version, with my old
 4.22 PC-Cache and everything worked well.  I'm also running a
 Turbo XT Clone with 2 Megs of Extra Memory, I run most of the New
 PC-Tools system in Extended, and I love it.  Hopefully they will fix
 cache 5.0, otherwise I'm running with no problems with my older
 verison.

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/27/89)

In article <15105@cup.portal.com>, Snake@cup.portal.com (Dan g Sobel) writes:
> >mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow)  Writes
>
> >I have the PC-CACHE program that comes with PCTOOLS V.5.  It works
> >with some of the other programs I have. But when I try to enter
> >WordPerfect 5.0, WP5 crashes during the loading process.  I don't
> >feel strongly about using PC-CACHE with WP5 -- WP5 contains it's own
> >cache or buffer system for frequently used files or overlays.  But I
>
>  Well Michael, suprise, I wasn't even able to get Desktop or Shell to
>  run under the New PC-Cache.  I kept getting lock-up when I tried to
>  hot key to them.  I finally replaced the 5.0 Version, with my old
>  4.22 PC-Cache and everything worked well.  I'm also running a
>  Turbo XT Clone with 2 Megs of Extra Memory, I run most of the New
>  PC-Tools system in Extended, and I love it.  Hopefully they will fix
>  cache 5.0, otherwise I'm running with no problems with my older
>  verison.

With further playing around, I found that disabling the expanded
memory option for either PC-CACHE (PC-CACHE/SIZE=nnk) or for Word
Perfect 5 (WP.EXE/NE) makes both work together.  But who needs a
cache taking up valuable DOS RAM? And WP5's using expanded memory
for large data files is a plus I don't want to give up.  I was
able to get PCSHELL.EXE to pop up over WP5 using the tiny or small
memory option. As a file manager/tree displayer it's fair, but still
rather slow. And there's no way in PCSHELL per se to view a files
easily after other files have been already marked (in version 4 you
could do Ctrl-E).

I have found a speed-demon of a file manager/tree facility that easily
pops up over WP5. It's called WindowDOS. It's simple, uncluttered, only
takes about 50K. It's clever interface can show up to 85 filenames
at once (in five columns) and shows the size, date, time, attributes
of the file under the cursor. Typing 'T' pops up a window with a
navigable directory tree window over the whole thing.  (WindowDOS
Associates, Box 3005=488, Arlington, TX 817 467 4103).

(No connection with WindoOS Associates, just a satisfied user)

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705     mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP