[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VGA

tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) (01/10/88)

In article <1249@cg-atla.UUCP> donovan@cg-atla.UUCP (Dennis Donovan X5176) writes:
>In article <2667@slovax.UUCP> steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
>called Paradise and talked with someone there who informed me that I would
>need at least the NEC Multisync II because the NEC Multisync doesn't have a
>screen lock or something and it will roll on you. He also suggested the
>Mitsubishi DiamondScan.

	I currently use the Paradise Autoswitch 480 ( up to 640 x 480,
16 colors, but _not_ VGA) and a normal Nec Multi Sync monitor and
I've never had any problems... isn't 640 x 480 the most stressfull
(for monitors, of course) mode of the VGA?  Or would they be talking
about the 64 color mode?  Note That I've never used it with a VGA,
just in 640 x 480 mode.

>|                    Dennis L. Donovan                     |
>| UUCP   : decvax!cg-atla!donovan                          |
>| AT&T   : (617) 658-5600 x5716                            |
>| USMAIL : Compugraphic Corporation                        |
>|          200 Ballardvale St., M.S. 200-2-2F              |
>|          Wilmington, MA 01887                            |
>+----------------------------------------------------------+
>"Nobody asked, just my opinion"
>Disclaimer: The views expressed are my own, I doubt if CG really cares anyway.

 Std Disclaimer : I have no relation with any of the companies talked about,
except for pouring money into them.

                                                _____________
                                                  /
                                               --/ __ _______
                                              (_/ (_) / / / <_ Livingston
                                              { decuac,ihnp4 }!netsys!tsl

ephram@violet.berkeley.edu (01/12/88)

A while ago we tried to hook up the NEC Multi to an AT&T Targa 24 board and
one of the sync signals from the board was not strong enough for the NEC
monitor to pick up.  The fundamental difference between the EGA and the VGA
is that the EGA is TTL and the VGA is analog.  The NEC works fine with the
PGA (which is what I assume it was designed for) but not with all analog
video sources.  This is what got corected (I think) in the nec II or + or
something like that.

I hope I cleared things up as opposed to clouding the issue.

Ephram Cohen
ephram@violet.berkeley.edu

chasm@killer.UUCP (Charles Marslett) (01/15/88)

In article <2181@netsys.UUCP>, tsl@netsys.UUCP (Tom Livingston) writes:
> In article <1249@cg-atla.UUCP> donovan@cg-atla.UUCP (Dennis Donovan X5176) writes:
> >In article <2667@slovax.UUCP> steve@slovax.UUCP (Steve Cook) writes:
> >called Paradise and talked with someone there who informed me that I would
> >need at least the NEC Multisync II because the NEC Multisync doesn't have a
> >screen lock or something and it will roll on you. He also suggested the
> >Mitsubishi DiamondScan.
> >

> 	I currently use the Paradise Autoswitch 480 ( up to 640 x 480,
> 16 colors, but _not_ VGA) and a normal Nec Multi Sync monitor and
> I've never had any problems... isn't 640 x 480 the most stressfull
> (for monitors, of course) mode of the VGA?

Actually, the problem is not either with the resolution or with the number
of colors, but the fact that in 480 line modes the PS/2 monitors expect 2
negative sync signals, in 400 line mode, one positive and the other negative,
and in 350 line modes one negative and the other positive -- some older
multisync monitors don't like these rather arbitrary setups.  Most work
best with a positive H-sync and a negative V-sync (as in EGA-350 line modes).
The Taxan multi frequency monitor is the most versatile in the respect that
I am aware of, by letting you adjust the screen for each of the 4 sync
combinations -- you can make it a PS/2 monitor clone if you want, you can
make it work with older video boards too.  Its a shame I don't like its
colors. . .

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.
chasm@killer.UUCP

golds@rlgvax.UUCP (Rich Goldschmidt) (04/20/88)

I am trying to decide whether it is worth buying a VGA board for a 386 AT.
I would appreciate any suggestions about which are best, particularly from
people who have experiences (good or bad) to report.  There are also several
EGA boards which claim to support several VGA modes, and I wonder if these
are worth considering.  The basic goal here is to get high resolution color
with a modest price.

Please email me your responses and I will summarize for the net.  Thanks...

Rich Goldschmidt  uunet!rlgvax!golds  or  sun!sundc!rlgvax!golds  or
ARPA:  rlgvax!golds@uunet.uu.net

simmons@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Gregory S. Simmons) (10/29/88)

Having recently purchased a VGA card that I am very happy with.  I would
like to get some conversation going suggesting good books and places to
get information on programming with the VGA card.  Anybody know anything
yet?

For all those wondering though, I am using a Everex EVGA card and I would
recommend this card to everyone that is looking to purchase one.  I have
had very little trouble with mine, which is not what I've heard about
paradise or vega cards.  If you are looking for VGA card, look only to
everex to supply your needs.  (Not even a paid advertisement)  I should
mention though that I have no direct experience with Vega or Paradise or
any other VGA card so my recommendation is based on the trouble free
experiences I've had with the Everex card.

Again though, any good places for VGA information?

Also, let's start getting some VGA information flowing.

--
Greg Simmons
     simmons@xanth.cs.odu.edu

chasm@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (10/30/88)

In article <6529@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, simmons@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Gregory S. Simmons) writes:

> Give America a chance, vote republican. Just plain good sense

I thought that was "nonsense" rather than "good sense" -- aren't the
Republicans the ones who gave us the last two trillion dollars in this
3 trillion dollar national debt?  While sayin' they conservative?  Not
my idea of conservative.

Charles Marslett
Founder -- Goldwater Republicans for Dukakis

msb62@leah.Albany.Edu (M S Baltuch) (10/30/88)

In article <6529@xanth.cs.odu.edu>, simmons@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Gregory S. Simmons) writes:

> Having recently purchased a VGA card that I am very happy with.  I would
> like to get some conversation going suggesting good books and places to
> get information on programming with the VGA card.  Anybody know anything
> yet?
>
> Also, let's start getting some VGA information flowing.
>
> --
> Greg Simmons
>      simmons@xanth.cs.odu.edu

The best source of vga programming information that I have found is in the book
"Programmer's Guide to PC and PS/2 Video Systems" by Richard Wilton.  It is
published by Microsoft Press and costs $24.95.  When I had to port a major
graphics application to VGA, this is the book I turned to.  It covers more
than just VGA, and has a wealth of source coded routines.  It is very well
written.

Good Luck

Mitch Baltuch
SUNYA Lightning Dectection Network
Internet:     msb62@leah.albany.edu   Snail Mail: SUNY at Albany
Bitnet:       m.s.baltuch@albny1vx		  ES235   ATM/SCI
						  1400 Washington Ave
						  Albany, NY 12222

The opinions stated are my own, who the hell else would want them.

alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) (11/05/88)

In article <6529@xanth.cs.odu.edu> simmons@xanth.cs.odu.edu (Gregory S. Simmons) writes:
>I would >like to get some conversation going suggesting good books and
>places to get information on programming with the VGA card.

Here are two books that look pretty good, from the little bit that I've seen:

EVA/VGA    A Programmer's Reference Guide
by Bradley Dyck Kliewer
Intertext Publications/McGraw-Hill

Programmer's Guide to PC & PS/2 Video Systems
by Richard Wilton
Microsoft Press

The first book is more hardware-oriented -- useful if you're bypassing
the BIOS and writing your own drivers.

The second book has may be more than you need.  It covers CGA (barf)
and all Hercules cards, has a complete summary of all BIOS calls,
has lots of BIOS examples, and quite a few examples of applications
(how to draw lines, circles, graphics text, filled regions, etc.).
--
Mark Alexander	(UUCP: amdahl!drivax!alexande)
"Bob-ism: the Faith that changes to meet YOUR needs." --Bob (as heard on PHC)

bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (Bradley Dyck Kliewer) (11/08/88)

In article <3945@drivax.UUCP> alexande@drivax.UUCP (Mark Alexander) writes:

>EVA/VGA    A Programmer's Reference Guide
>by Bradley Dyck Kliewer
>Intertext Publications/McGraw-Hill

And, I read this newsgroup fairly frequently -- always glad to answer
questions when I can (and take suggestions for changes in the second
edition).

Bradley Dyck Kliewer
bkliewer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu

schilder@uva.UUCP (Marius Schilder (I84)) (02/27/89)

Could somebody out there please explain why IBM did not
provide double buffering with the VGA 320x200 256 color mode?
I spend my spare time writing arcade action games and other smooth
animations but without double buffering I might as well stick
to EGA 320x200.

Any opinions / remarks welcome at schilder@uva.nl