[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HD 3 1/2" drive in IBM PC

mpcook@chinet.chi.il.us (Michael P. Cook) (02/22/89)

Has anyone successfully added a high density drive (3 1/2") in an IBM
PC? This is in an origkinal IBM PC but with the"newer" BIOS that allows
for hard disk and 640K of RAM.  I have spoken with a number of people
who sell drives and so-called high density controllers (for the "XT").
Some tell me that the IBM PC won't accept 1.44 MEG format due to BIOS
incompatibility but IBM compatibles WILL!  That's a switch!  Some say
it's no problem at all. Some say it requires a Compaticard controller
and/or DOS 3.3.
Any ideas?  Also, if I install a 1.44 MEG drive and attach to my current
controller, will it operate in 720K format until I add the proper
controller and/or driver software?
Thanks for any insight into this!
Mike

dts@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Daniel Senie) (02/24/89)

To put a 3.5" HD drive in an original PC, try replacing the floppy controller
with a Sysgen OMNI_Bridge controller. It has all of the same connectors and
costs $95. If you want to use the 1.44MB drive as boot device, you will need
DOS 3.2 or higher, though 3.2 or higher is recommended anyway if you have
3.5 inch disks...

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

kluge@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Oliver Kluge) (02/25/89)

Hi citizens of netland!

Yes, it is possible to add 3,5 " HD disk drives to the original IBM.
I own an IBM XT /w 640 K and a 32 MB hard disk. I added a HD
controller of a german firm which holds an EPROM for a BIOS
extension. I cannot say wether it will run with older DOS version,
for I do use DOS 3.30 (I don't know why anyone should run older
versions, by now everything should run under 3.3). It runs pretty
well, I have connected to it a 3,5 " 1.44 MB drive and a 5.25 " 1.2
MB AT-like drive. 720 K diskettes are handled with ease.
It all runs well, except PC-Tools: It does not recognize that I have
installed an HD controller, for it seems that it asks DOS and DOS
can't know. (Please refer to my article "DRIVPARM - how do I access
it" in comp.sys.ibm.pc and comp.binaries.ibm.pc).

If you can't find any american firm selling such a controller,
please e-mail me, I'm sure the german firm where I bought my
controller will be happy to sell it to you, too.
[# disclaimer: No, I don't have any relations to that firm]

So long ... Oliver

--
TTTU MMMMM kluge%lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de@relay.cs.net (CS-NET, ARPA)
 T U U M M Oliver Kluge, Parallel Computing Lab, \ unido.UUCP   (UUCP)

mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP (Michael R. Volow) (02/27/89)

The high density FDC in my IBM PC is also not recognized by PCTOOLS
V.5 either.

M Volow, VA Medical Center, Durham, NC 27705     mvolo@ecsvax.UUCP

Erik@cup.portal.com (Erik - Dufek) (02/27/89)

In 7783@chinet.chi.il.us Michael P. Cook writes:

> Has anyone successfully added a high density drive (3 1/2") in an IBM
> PC?

Yes I have added a 3 1/2" 1.44Mb drive to both my Compaq and my IBM.
I used the Jameco 4FDC in the IBM.  Completely satisfied with it! I
run PC-DOS 3.30 and it was plug and go.  In the Compaq with Compaq
DOS 3.31 I installed a Magitronics.  Had to modify the driver.sys to
get it to work.  Wouldn't recommend Magitronics to anyone.  Unless they
wanted to buy my card :-)  The Jameco also comes in a 2FDC version.
Someone else has used a DTC controller on a clone with the same plug
and go success.

> Some tell me that the IBM PC won't accept 1.44 MEG format due to BIOS
> incompatibility but IBM compatibles WILL!

My IBM is actually pieced together from some IBM stuff and some clone
stuff.  The BIOS is 1983.  The Jameco card just supplies a BIOS extension
just like your HD conroller.  Ask them why your winchester works!  The
BIOS extension can be addressed at CA00, CC00 or CE00.  This is handy if
you have other BIOS extensions that might interfere.  The type of drive
installed is set by jumpers.

> Also, if I install a 1.44 MEG drive and attach to my current
> controller, will it operate in 720K format until I add the proper
> controller and/or driver software?

Actually I think it will format to 1.2MB.   Don't quote me on that!

I used a Toshiba ND-356T-A, FDD4603G0K floppy drive.  Nice drive, jumpers
for all sorts of options, faceplates for 3 different setups.

DOS 3.3 is easiest.  You may need to modify driver.sys with other versions.

I tried to send this email but it bounced.  But it may be of interest to
others on the net so I'm posting it in the hope it also reaches mpcook @
chinet.

eriK

      erik@cup.portal.com