[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VI editor for MS-DOS

curci@stat.uucp (Ray Curci (scri)) (02/28/89)

There is also a VI - like editor that comes with the MS-DOS AZTEC C-compiler
called "Z".  Another possibility is using the BRIEF(TM) editor from
Underware with a set of macros that make BRIEF behave like VI (why you would
want to use VI macros with BRIEF when you can use it in its native mode
is a mystery to me).

ray curci
curci@nu.cs.fsu.edu

caromero@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (C. Antonio Romero) (03/01/89)

In article <7414@pyr.gatech.EDU> curci@stat.fsu.edu (Ray Curci (scri)) writes:
>There is also a VI - like editor that comes with the MS-DOS AZTEC C-compiler
>called "Z".

Before the MKS vi came out I had to use Z for a whlie.  It's pretty
wretched-- a small subset of real VI, with (for example) most of the ":"
commands left out, and, if memory serves, something under 64K limit on
file size.  Very difficult to work with if you know the real vi well and
are accustomed to using more than its basic capabilities.

I will grant that on an XT it was much faster with screen updates... MKS
vi was a little slow for an XT (wonderful on an AT or 386, though).
-Antonio Romero   romero@confidence.princeton.edu