[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS cp/cpio

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (02/28/89)

In article <24488@amdcad.AMD.COM> phil@diablo.AMD.COM (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <3495@sdsu.UUCP> vinge@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (Vernor Vinge) writes:
>Why would anyone want to buy the MKS product when their "cp" does not
>understand "-r"? YUCK!

(Hi, Phil!)

Well, the first reason that jumped to mind is because their cpio (1) can use
(1) LWZ (or is it LZW - I can never remember!) compression and (2) understands
multiple-media (i.e., multiple floppy disks) archives with nary a wimper.

Sure, maybe cp -r makes life easier; but the functionality is there with
the find/cpio anyway...

kEITH (but it's beginning to cost too much) eRICSON

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/01/89)

In article <3495@sdsu.UUCP> vinge@sdsu.UCSD.EDU (Vernor Vinge) writes:
>Why would anyone want to buy the MKS product when their "cp" does not
>understand "-r"? YUCK!

MKS Toolkit is advertised as "System V.3 compatible". Well, I just
looked at the System V.3 manual page for "cp", and IT does not under-
stand "-r".

It is therefore a perfectly good reason to buy MKS Toolkit for compatibility
of one's DOS environment with the UNIX environment one is used to.

The capitalized exclamation above is a childish manifestation of
the "BSD is all there is" mentality.
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD