[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Re^2: Paths > 128 characters AND OTHERS "FLAME"

leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) (02/23/89)

I'm a former journalist on several computer magazine and know that a
LOT of people rely on the informations that they get from them and
other sources (like news and so on). The problem is that they don't
have any way of verifying (is that a English word?) the information
they receive! And when the informations are wrong they get confused!

Like this one:

PAHT DELETED (NAME DELETED) writes:
>To get longer paths, you must increase your environment space.
>To do this you have to place the following line into CONFIG.SYS:
>SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P /E:2000

NO!

>I think this should give you more than enough environment space.
>If not, try it with /E:4000 instead of /E:2000.

It sure does!

>I hope this helps.

It don't! It GIVES you are larger environment space but DOS won't
allow a path that is longer than 128 bytes! Actually DOS don't allow
any environment variable that's longer than ~128 bytes (including the
name of the environment variable)

How can I be so sure? Easy! I tried it out! I made this .BAT-file

      set TEST=%TEST%1234567890

And ran it several times until DOS rejected it (or actually the whole
system went DOWN!!!!) and then counted the "1234567890"'s. There were
13, 13 * 10 = 130. That's so near 128 that you can get - near enough
to make my point:

TRY IT OUT BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!!!!!!!!

<Shields up> <Power up system> <PANG> <Smoke>
"What's up Doc"
"We can't go to full power - only half"
~TO ALL ALIENS - PLEASE DO ONLY ATTACH US IF YOU MEAN IT - THANKS~

 Leif Andrew Rump, AmbraSoft A/S, Roejelskaer 15, DK-2840 Holte (Denmark)
 UUCP: leif@ambra.dk, phone: +45 2424 111, touch phone: +45 422 817 + 313

jrv@siemens.UUCP (James R Vallino) (02/26/89)

In article <455@ambone.UUCP> leif@ambone.UUCP (Leif Andrew Rump) writes:
> And when the informations are wrong they get confused!
>
>Like this one:

You have only added to the confusion with your posting.

>PAHT DELETED (NAME DELETED) writes:
>>To get longer paths, you must increase your environment space.
>>To do this you have to place the following line into CONFIG.SYS:
>>SHELL=COMMAND.COM /P /E:2000
>
>NO!

I agree here.  This only helps if the "Out of Environment Space" error
appears when trying to set an environment variable.

... [some stuff deleted]
>>I hope this helps.
>
>It don't! It GIVES you are larger environment space but DOS won't
>allow a path that is longer than 128 bytes! Actually DOS don't allow
>any environment variable that's longer than ~128 bytes (including the
>name of the environment variable)

... [details of experiment using SET in a batch file deleted]

What you are confusing here is what DOS can internally handle for an
environment variable and the DOS command line buffer.  The command line buffer
is around 128 characters long.  This is what limits the size of the
environment variable when using the SET command.

DOS itself can handle a PATH variable longer than 128 characters.  The problem
is how to get the value set in DOS's environment space.  I have seen one or two
utilties which directly mess around with DOS's internal environment space to
create very long PATH variables.  Unfortunately I do not remember the names of
them{

>TRY IT OUT BEFORE YOU SUBMIT YOUR WORDS OF WISDOM!!!!!!!!!!

Check it out before submitting your flames.

--
Jim Vallino	Siemens Corporate Research, Princeton, NJ
jrv@siemens.siemens.com

svirsky@ttidca.TTI.COM (Bill Svirsky) (03/02/89)

+
+ DOS itself can handle a PATH variable longer than 128 characters.  The
+ problem is how to get the value set in DOS's environment space.  I have
+ seen one or two utilties which directly mess around with DOS's internal
+ environment space to create very long PATH variables.  Unfortunately I
+ do not remember the names of them

I just confirmed this.  I used "nset" from the PICNIX toolset to set
PATH=<approx. 160 characters of directories>;c:/bin, and was able to
execute a program from /bin.
--
Bill Svirsky, Citicorp+TTI, 3100 Ocean Park Blvd., Santa Monica, CA 90405
Work phone: 213-450-9111 x2597