[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Kermit-like interactive protocol??

crom@cuuxb.ATT.COM (Netnews Administrator) (03/01/89)

Has anyone modified Kermit so that it can be used as an interactive protocol?
We need to have an ibm pc talking to a unix machine over a dial-up and I
was thinking of modifying Kermit.  There will be a lot of small data transfers
going in both directions.  Has this already been done or does anyone know of
a better solution?  Thanks.
Jack Dixon,  AT&T
{ ...!att!dopsa!jcd, jcd@dopsa.att.com }

In article <2546@cuuxb.ATT.COM> att!spock!jcd (Jack Dixon) writes:
>Has anyone modified Kermit so that it can be used as an interactive protocol?
>We need to have an ibm pc talking to a unix machine over a dial-up and I
>was thinking of modifying Kermit.  There will be a lot of small data transfers
>going in both directions.

Do you mean you want a terminal session with packet protocol or just
something a little different than what the kermit server usually does?
I've wanted the latter myself - something like having the the ability
to give REMOTE HOST commands to the server from a script with the ability
to seperatly redirect the command input/output from/to files on the
local machine and have the command exit status returned as a variable in
the script.  No, I don't know if any such thing exists.  You can sort
of fake it by transferring the input file, running a script on the host
that sends the command output, error and status to files which are sent
back, but it's not quite the same...

Les Mikesell