[comp.sys.ibm.pc] RLL versus MFM disk drives.

mguyott@mirror.UUCP (Marc Guyott) (02/28/89)

A couple of weeks ago I posted a note asking for some help finding a
controller for a Seagate ST251-1 hard disk (which I incorrectly called an
ST506) that I wanted to use in my AT clone.  Here is a summary of the

> From: Mark Davis <davis@rho.cs.unc.edu>
>
> In article <23370@mirror.UUCP> you write:
> >I have a seagate ST506 40MB 1/2 height internal hard disk (28ms access
> >time) that I would like to use with my AT clone.  ...
>
> OK, first a couple of nits.  A Seagate ST506 is a full height,
> 5Megabyte, 85 msec drive (One of the first on the market).
>
> Seagate makes the ST251-1, a half height, 40 Meg, 28 msec drive with
> the ST506/ST412 interface (by far the most common interface), used on
> most XT and AT computers with MFM or RLL controllers.
>
> >Can I purchase an AT compatible controller and use it with this drive
> >in my AT clone?
>
> You don't say, but I presume that you already have your AT clone and it
> only has a floppy disk controller in it.  I know a lot of places sell
> them that way, but you should open up your machine and make sure there
> is not a hard disk controller there.	Hard disk controllers use a
> single control cable (34 connector) and a data cable (20 conductors)
> for each drive.  For example, if your computer had a WA2 controller
> already installed, you see a 34 pin connector and two 20 pin connectors
> unused on the controller board.  There would also be a 34 pin cable
> (probably with a twist in it) going from the controller to the floppy.
>
> On the other hand, the floppy controller may be on the mother board
> and no controller cards may be installed.
>
> If you do not have a hard disk controller and you are happy with your
> floppy controller, then all you have to do is buy a new controller.
> You could even make an old XT clone controller work.	However with
> the 8 bit data path and high required interleave, you will sacrifice a
> lot of your performance.  If you machine is pretty hot (>= 10Mhz, 0
> waits) and you do a lot of disk I/O, I think the 1006 (or some other
> 1:1 controller) would be a good investment.

> From: lance@virgin.MV.COM (Lance Fraser)	Here's a list of Western Digital controllers for your read		enjoyment
>
> 1003WA2	16-bit/MFM/3:1/Hard-floppy
> 1003VMM1	16-bit/MFM/2:1/hard only
> 1003VMM2	16-bit/MFM/2:1/hard-floppy
> 1003VSR1	16-bit/RLL/2:1/hard only/BIOS
> 1003VSR2	16-bit/RLL/2:1/hard-floppy/BIOS
> 1006VMM1	16-bit/MFM/1:1/hard only
> 1006VMM2	16-bit/MFM/1:1/hard-floppy
> 1006VSR1	16-bit/RLL/1:1/hard only/BIOS
> 1006VSR2	16-bit/RLL/1:1/hard-floppy/BIOS
> 1007AWAH	16-bit/ESDI/hard only/BIOS
> 1007AWA2	16-bit/ESDI/hard-floppy/BIOS

> From: Rich Hemmer <vampire@philabs.philips.com>
>
> The ST506 is the same drive as the ST251-1, but is listed as special to
> certain vendors... ie PC Limited, Dell Corp.	It is an MFM type drive and
> should be run off of an MFM controller.  However, it can be run off of an RLL
> controller per some of the customer service people, but they do not guarentee
> the performance nor will they say it is reliable...

And here's some more information that I was able to dig up from the
Universal Installation Handbook published by Seagate.

The following are ST412 interface drives using MFM encoding at 5.0 MB/SEC.
						      (msec)
drive	    MB	     # heads	     Cylinders	    access time

ST125	    21		4		615		28
ST138	    32		6		615		28
ST225	    21		4		615		65
ST251	    42		6		820		40
ST251-1     42		6		820		28
ST4038	    31		5		733		40
ST4051	    42		5		977		40
ST4053	    44		5	       1024		28
ST4096	    80		9	       1024		28

The following are ST412 interface drives using Run Length Limited (2,7)
encoding at 7.5 MB/SEC.
						      (msec)
drive	    MB	     # heads	     Cylinders	    access time

ST138R	    32		4		615		28
ST157R	    49		6		615		28
ST238R	    31		4		615		65
ST251R	    43		4		820		40
ST277R	    65		6		820		40
ST4144R    122		9	       1024		28

The following are SCSI interface drives.
				    (msec)
drive	    MB	     sectors	  access time
ST138N	    32	     63,139	      28
ST157N	    48	     95,015	      28
ST225N	    21	     41,720	      65
ST251N	    43	     84,254	      40
ST277N	    64	    126,790	      40

MFM CONTROLLER SELECTION

The hard disc controller you use will affect the performance of the drive.
To acheive full performance with an MFM dirve, you must use an MFM
controller which operates the ST412/MFM interface at 5.0 MB/SEC.

Operation of an MFM drive at data rates other than 5.0 MB/SEC, or operation
of an MFM drive with an RLL controller is not approved by Seagate and will
void your warranty.

RLL CONTROLLER SELECTION

To achieve full performance with a Run Length Limited (RLL) drive you must
use an RLL (2,7) controller which operates the ST412/RLL interface at
7.5 MB/SEC.

Only Seagate drives with an R appended to the product number are designed
and certified for use with a Run Length Limited (RLL 2,7) controller.
Note: early ST238, RLL drives did not have the R suffix.

Operation of an RLL drive at data rates other than 7.5 MB/SEC, or operation
of an RLL drive with an MFM controller is not approved by Seagate and will
void your warranty.

So, I hope some of you out there find some of this interesting.  Thanks
to all of the people who responded to my plea for help.

					       Marc

ppa@hpldola.HP.COM (Paul P. Austgen) (03/03/89)

I wonder why operation of a RLL disc with a MFM controller would
void a warranty.  Seems like it could loaf along?