[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS <-> CP/M floppy program needed

wales@valeria.cs.ucla.edu (03/02/89)

I would like to find a program that runs on MS-DOS, and which will read
and write CP/M floppy disks in a format that can be used by a Commodore
128.  This would allow my roommate and me to exchange files between his
C-128 and my PC clone.

I have tried RWCPM (on SIMTEL20 as PD1:<MSDOS.DSKUTL>RWCPM.ARC), but it
is of no use to me for this application, since the Epson CP/M disk for-
mat it expects apparently uses 10 sectors/track and thus cannot be read
on my PC.  We tried an IBM CP/M-86 format (double-sided, 8 sectors per
track), which a PC should be able to work with, but the RWCPM program
refused to have anything to do with this format.

-- Rich Wales // UCLA Computer Science Department // +1 (213) 825-5683
   3531 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024-1596 // USA
   wales@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!(uunet,ucbvax,rutgers)!cs.ucla.edu!wales
"The best diplomat I know is a fully charged phaser bank."

mlawless@ncrwic.Wichita.NCR.COM (Mike Lawless) (03/03/89)

In article <21189@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU> wales@CS.UCLA.EDU (Rich Wales) writes:
>I would like to find a program that runs on MS-DOS, and which will read
>and write CP/M floppy disks in a format that can be used by a Commodore

What you are looking for is Uniform, from Micro Solutions (815-756-3411).  It
can be bought alone, or bundled with a board called the MatchPoint, which
installs between your floppy controller and your drives, allowing one of them
to read/write/format crApple II disks.  They support a lot of formats, in
8, 5 1/4, and 3 1/2, depending on what hardware you have.  A notable format
that is not supported (at least in the version I have) is the TI 99.

They also make a board called the MatchMaker, which is completely separate,
and interfaced to an external Mac drive.  I have no experience with this
setup.  Central Point's Deluxe Option Board can supposedly be installed in
the same manner as the MatchPoint, to allow the PC's 3 1/2" drive to handle
Mac disks, without requiring a separate drive.  Whether the MatchPoint and
the Deluxe Option Board could coexist in the same system is anybody's guess.
--
Mike Lawless, NCR E&M Wichita, Box 20     (316) 636-8666   (NCR: 654-8666)
3718 N. Rock Road, Wichita, KS  67226     Mike.Lawless@Wichita.NCR.COM