[comp.sys.ibm.pc] NEC Hard Drive

marc@dbase.UUCP (Marc Schifer) (02/14/89)

   I have recently accquired  a NEC  hard Disk, unfortunately it did't
   come with any docs, and the person I got it form does'nt know anything
   about it.    The tag on the bottom read P/N 134-200451  REV 01d
   It appears to have a SCSi adapter card connetecd to the normal card
   on the hard drive.   The second card has the following numbers on it
	 SMS OMTI MODEL 5100
The chips on this card are zilog Z8681-12
			    Z8 Romless

if anyone knows ANYTHING about this drive,   (Model, Heads, Cylinders,
what type of controler it would take without the second card, if any, ect...

I would be very gratefull.
			       Thanks in advance to all who can help.
				   marc

-----------------------------------
Standard Disclaimer Implied.
(i.e. TheseOpionsAreMineAndYouCan'tHaveThem! SoTher.)

dlp@gistdev.UUCP (02/16/89)

=> Written  7:13 pm  Feb 13, 1989 by dbase.UUCP!marc
=> ---------- "Re: NEC Hard Drive" ---------- */
=> I have recently accquired  a NEC  hard Disk, unfortunately it did't
=> come with any docs, and the person I got it form does'nt know anything
=> about it.

*FLAME ON*	If you don't like flames, skip this note.

This sort of statement always irritates me.  Did you buy it from a thief,
or did you buy it from someone who bought it from a thief?  There are good
excuses (but no good reasons) for not having documentation for it, but
there's no excuse for 'not knowing anything about it'.  I am sick of seeing
notes that basically say 'I got a real bargain deal on <hardware>, but the
guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it, and of course I didn't
ask any questions, let alone call the police.  Can I get the docs for it
from the net for free?  Thanks loads, suckers.'  I'm also sick of seeing
notes about bargain deals on <hardware> at auctions, swap meets, etc.

*FLAME OFF; CONTINUE SMOLDERING*

*	*	*	*	*	*	*	*
Dirk Pellett
INTERNET: dlp%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
UUCP:     {uunet,pur-ee,convex}!uiucuxc!gistdev!dlp

robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) (02/21/89)

In article <8400010@gistdev> you write:

>=> Written  7:13 pm  Feb 13, 1989 by dbase.UUCP!marc
>=> I have recently accquired  a NEC  hard Disk, unfortunately it did't
>=> come with any docs, and the person I got it form does'nt know anything
>=> about it.

>This sort of statement always irritates me.  Did you buy it from a thief,
>or did you buy it from someone who bought it from a thief?  There are good
>excuses (but no good reasons) for not having documentation for it, but
>there's no excuse for 'not knowing anything about it'.  I am sick of seeing
>notes that basically say 'I got a real bargain deal on <hardware>, but the
>guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it, and of course I didn't
>ask any questions, let alone call the police.  Can I get the docs for it
>from the net for free?  Thanks loads, suckers.'  I'm also sick of seeing
>notes about bargain deals on <hardware> at auctions, swap meets, etc.
>
>Dirk Pellett
>INTERNET: dlp%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu

I used to work for Intel and go to Intel scrap sales.  There were a lot
of good deals there, almost never documentation for the stuff, and I'm
sure none of it was stolen!  I sometimes sold the stuff that I couldn't
use at flea markets a few years after I bought it at the scrap sales
for what I paid for it.  Tektronix also sold a lot of scrap to
employees, also usually without documentation.

I think that you are too quick to flame this guy.  Also, I suspect most
people who steal stuff are not the types that show up at computer flea
markets.  Sure, there are bound to be exceptions, but my guess is that
it's rare.

	Rob Bedichek

(Dirk, I had to trim your FLAME ON/FLAME OFF and your UUCP address so
that rn would accept this followup.  At first it complained that I had
included more text than I had written.  A generally good feature, I
suppose, but a hassle this time.)

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (02/21/89)

In article <8400010@gistdev> dlp@gistdev.UUCP writes:

>...there's no excuse for 'not knowing anything about it'.  I am sick of seeing
>notes that basically say 'I got a real bargain deal on <hardware>, but the
>guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it, and of course I didn't
>ask any questions, let alone call the police.  Can I get the docs for it
>from the net for free?  Thanks loads, suckers.'  I'm also sick of seeing
>notes about bargain deals on <hardware> at auctions, swap meets, etc.

Why, do you like paying through the nose for everything you buy?  Some
people do shop around, and I for one am quick to scoop up a bargain
when I see it.  Just because it's a bargain, or has no docs, doesn't
mean it's stolen.  A case in point:  my father often gets notices in the
mail about army surplus.  One such notice included a lot with thousands
of electronic components.  This is what he wanted.  But in order to get
the components, he had to bid on the entire lot, which included alot
of stuff he didn't want, or for that matter know anything about.
He made the bid, won the lot, and sold off what he didn't want, at bargain
prices.   Nothing illegal here.

Brian.
--
 +-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP:..!{uunet!attcan, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan!brian |

akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) (02/21/89)

In article <7324@june.cs.washington.edu> robertb@uw-june.UUCP (Robert Bedichek) writes:

   [ deleted flame from Dirk Pellett ]

>I used to work for Intel and go to Intel scrap sales.  There were a lot
>of good deals there, almost never documentation for the stuff, and I'm
>sure none of it was stolen!

Maybe Dirk went a little too far in his flame, but I can understand some of
his frustration.  There have been several postings of the nature - "I don't
have docs, what do I do ?" in this newsgroup lately.  Most of the problem
stems from the fact that easier access to the net has brought it within the
reach of people who have had little exposure to electronic networks and
the etiquette that has to be followed.

Many of these people consider the net to be their personal yellow pages or
encyclopedia brittanica.  They are too lazy to look up computer rags or
consult their telephone books.  There is NO REASON for postings that ask for
telephone numbers of companies - THAT'S WHAT DIRECTORY ASSISTANCE IS THERE FOR!
If you have a hard disk and don't have specs - CALL THE COMPANY FIRST!  If after
calling you still can't find the answer, then ask for assistance on the net.

It is also the responsibility of local system administrators to tell their
new users about what is and what isn't OK on the net, before they grant them
free access to the network.  A copy of netiquette from the Unix user's guide
should be a first step.  Users should be made to read this before posting
anything.  Perhaps even a no-posting period of one month for new users would
be good.  It will give them a chance to see other postings and get a feel of
what's right.

--
Atul Kacker  |     Internet: akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) (02/22/89)

In article <8400010@gistdev>, dlp@gistdev.UUCP writes:
> => I have recently accquired  a NEC  hard Disk, unfortunately it did't
> => come with any docs, and the person I got it form does'nt know anything
> => about it.

> *FLAME ON*	If you don't like flames, skip this note.
>
> [high class flame text deleted]
>
> *FLAME OFF; CONTINUE SMOLDERING*

Nice flame. Why don't people understand that acquiring computer
equipment or software is no different than other aspects of life
in general; you don't always get what you pay for, but you
*never* get what you don't pay for!

marc@dbase.UUCP (Marc Schifer) (02/22/89)

In article <7324@june.cs.washington.edu>, robertb@june.cs.washington.edu (Robert Bedichek) writes:

> In article <8400010@gistdev> you write:
>
> >=> Written  7:13 pm  Feb 13, 1989 by dbase.UUCP!marc
> >=> I have recently accquired  a NEC  hard Disk, unfortunately it did't
> >=> come with any docs, and the person I got it form does'nt know anything
> >=> about it.
>
> >This sort of statement always irritates me.  Did you buy it from a thief,
> >or did you buy it from someone who bought it from a thief?  There are good
     [Deleted Lots of stuff in the same vain]

> >Dirk Pellett
> >INTERNET: dlp%gistdev@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu
>
> I used to work for Intel and go to Intel scrap sales.  There were a lot
> of good deals there, almost never documentation for the stuff, and I'm
      [deleted some stuff about other LEGAL way to get hardware w/out
       documentaion.]
> I think that you are too quick to flame this guy.  Also, I suspect most
> people who steal stuff are not the types that show up at computer flea
> markets.  Sure, there are bound to be exceptions, but my guess is that
> it's rare.
>
> 	Rob Bedichek

  I will have you know I BOUGHT this drive from an Estate sale, It was
  in a box with alot of other misc hardware that I got for $20.  Some of
  the stuff was usfull some of it was junk.  Harddrive is still in question
  (since nobody seams to know anythning about it)
     And I really don't care what you (DIRK PELLETT) happen to think
     about how I happend to have come up with a drive without any doc's
     But I DO CARE ABOUT YOU MAKING PUBLIC ACQUSATIONS ABOUT ME ON THE NET!
     SO Next time you feel that something isn't quite right about a posting
     I would suggest that you check it thru e-mail first before you go
     posting to the world. It might just save you a some time in court!

     By the way I would Like to thank Rob Bendichek for his comments
     on the subject.  Its kind of nice to know there is a least one
     person that still has some trust left in the world.

					  marc
------------------------------
(Discalimer)  It's mine and I bought legaly.  And if you don't like it
 to bad. Any and all remarks expressed here in no way reflect those of
 my employer, or any other person currently living or dead.

wilso_d@xanth.cs.odu.edu (DeWitte Wilson) (02/22/89)

In article <914@ur-cc.UUCP> akk2@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Atul Kacker) writes:

>Many of these people consider the net to be their personal yellow pages or
>encyclopedia brittanica.  They are too lazy to look up computer rags or
>consult their telephone books.  There is NO REASON for postings that ask for
>telephone numbers of companies - THAT'S WHAT DIRECTORY ASSISTANCE IS THERE FOR!
>If you have a hard disk and don't have specs - CALL THE COMPANY FIRST!  If after
>calling you still can't find the answer, then ask for assistance on the net.

Since I recently placed such an article about a hard disk, I'd better throw
in a few cents too.  I did call the company (both the manufacturer, and
the distributor), and several local companies before going to the Net for
assistance.  I know that some people don't know how to dial 800-555-1212 for
Toll Free information (just because they plain don't know about it), and I
agree that asking for trivial information is needless (as are countless
messages referring to messages which ask for such information as unneccessary)

I have received several quality email responses about the drive, and I don't
think that the responders minded the original message at all.

To all those who helped out, I offer thanks.
To all those who were offended, I offer my apologies.
and
To all those who really didn't care then, or now... have a nice day!

...dewitte
--
DeWitte Wilson <wilso_d@cs.odu.edu>                 Old Dominion University
Sysop - Tidewater Executive BBS 804-424-1215 [300=>2400] 8N1

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/24/89)

In article <117@psgdc> rg@psgdc (Dick Gill) writes:

| Nice flame. Why don't people understand that acquiring computer
| equipment or software is no different than other aspects of life
| in general; you don't always get what you pay for, but you
| *never* get what you don't pay for!

  Wow! I bet you buy only IBM equipment, and at full price rather than
from one of those "cheap discount places." Most of us shop around, and
often get things at really good prices (new hard disks, no warrantee,
$1.30/lb?) when we can. Some of us also wind up selling stuff really
cheap to get volume up on a buy. I dumped some 256k memory for $7/chip
to get from 600 to 1000 piece pricing. Right now I'm getting people to
buy 20MHz 386 w/ 40MB drives for $2000 (in dozens).

  There are lots of ways to legitimately get things cheaply, and I see
no reason to flame someone from being frugal.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (02/24/89)

In article <25@dbase.UUCP> marc@dbase.UUCP (Marc Schifer) writes:

> I will have you know I BOUGHT this drive from an Estate sale, It was
> in a box with alot of other misc hardware that I got for $20.  Some
> of the stuff was usfull some of it was junk.

[I can't resist anymore]

Ok, you saved $200 buying the drive at a garage sale, and now you're
spending several hundred dollars of the net's money trying to get
info, huh?

I suppose you're using the net because it's "cheaper" than calling
around on your own phone bill, eh?

Come on guys, have a little respect.  Someone has to pay the bills.
Don't ask *us* to pay for the difference between the junk price you
paid, and the price for a new one *with* docs.

Rick Farris   RF Engineering  POB M  Del Mar, CA  92014   voice (619) 259-6793
rfarris@serene.cts.com     ...!uunet!serene!rfarris       serene.UUCP 259-7757

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (02/26/89)

As quoted from <8400010@gistdev> by dlp@gistdev.UUCP:
+---------------
| => Written  7:13 pm  Feb 13, 1989 by dbase.UUCP!marc
| => ---------- "Re: NEC Hard Drive" ---------- */
| => I have recently accquired  a NEC  hard Disk, unfortunately it did't
| => come with any docs, and the person I got it form does'nt know anything
| => about it.
|
| *FLAME ON*	If you don't like flames, skip this note.
|
| This sort of statement always irritates me.  Did you buy it from a thief,
| or did you buy it from someone who bought it from a thief?  There are good
| excuses (but no good reasons) for not having documentation for it, but
| there's no excuse for 'not knowing anything about it'.  I am sick of seeing
+---------------

I regret to say that there is.  Try buying a hard drive from a distributor,
for instance.  *Some* distributors give you the documentation.  If they
don't, forget about getting the information from them; the best you can do
is hope that the maker of the drive will send you the documentation if you
ask.  We've been bitten by this a few times, and are rather annoyed by it.
("We" is Telotech, not ncoast.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

Derick.Hayes@f7.n369.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Derick Hayes) (02/28/89)

Re the NEC HD...you need to check the serial plate for the model number
of this drive I do know that the D5126 is 20 Mbytes 614 cyl by 4 head.
On many of the BBS's around the area there are files that list the
specs from different HD's check them out if you can find out what the
Model Number is....

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (02/28/89)

}
}> I will have you know I BOUGHT this drive from an Estate sale, It was
}> in a box with alot of other misc hardware that I got for $20.  Some
}> of the stuff was usfull some of it was junk.
}
}[I can't resist anymore]
}
}Ok, you saved $200 buying the drive at a garage sale, and now you're
}spending several hundred dollars of the net's money trying to get
}info, huh?
}
}I suppose you're using the net because it's "cheaper" than calling
}around on your own phone bill, eh?
}
}Come on guys, have a little respect.  Someone has to pay the bills.
}Don't ask *us* to pay for the difference between the junk price you
}paid, and the price for a new one *with* docs.

I disagree.  By your own logic, then, this newsgroup doesn't need to
exist, as everything I have ever seen posted here can be described as

	A) RTFM
	B) Buy a magazine and read the reviews, or
	C) RTFM

Now then, I find this group highly informative, and don't want it changed.

Just a thought from...

--
Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl
UUCP:  ...!sm.unisys.com!csun!csuna.csun.edu!abcscnge

hollombe@ttidca.TTI.COM (The Polymath) (03/01/89)

In article <421@serene.UUCP> rfarris@serene.uu.net (Rick Farris) writes:
}Ok, you saved $200 buying the drive at a garage sale, and now you're
}spending several hundred dollars of the net's money trying to get
}info, huh?
}
}I suppose you're using the net because it's "cheaper" than calling
}around on your own phone bill, eh?
}
}Come on guys, have a little respect.  Someone has to pay the bills.
}Don't ask *us* to pay for the difference between the junk price you
}paid, and the price for a new one *with* docs.

Better we should pay to read your flames and complaints?

The net is a resource.  Asking for technical help was it's original,
intended purpose.  I'd much rather see, and pay for, messages asking
and answering "How does this gizmo work?" than messages that say
"How dare you ask questions on the net!".

If you're so all-fired concerned about net expenses, send your flames
by mail instead of broadcasting them to the world.  Last I looked, no
one had elected you the arbiter of what is and isn't proper to post.

--
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe, hollombe@ttidca.tti.com)  Illegitimati Nil
Citicorp(+)TTI                                                 Carborundum

rfarris@serene.UUCP (Rick Farris) (03/03/89)

In article <1722@csuna.csun.edu> abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott Neugroschl) writes:
> In article <421@serene.UUCP> rfarris@serene.uu.net (Rick Farris) writes:
> }I suppose you're using the net because it's "cheaper" than calling
> }around on your own phone bill, eh?

> I disagree.  By your own logic, then, this newsgroup doesn't need to
> exist.

That's not even close to what I said, Scott.  I said that the net
should be used *after* other, cheaper efforts have failed.  It's just
plain inconsiderate to spend $200 of net money to avoid spending $5
of your own money to call the manufacturer.

Now if you've called the manufacturer and can't get any help, or the
manufacturer has gone out of business, etc, *then* is the time to go
to the net.

Of course other topics, of general interest, are always welcome.  But
a specific "I've got a XXX doomaflidget, would somebody tell me how
it works" is only of use to the author and should only be posted as a
final resort.