[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 286 vs. 386sx

PICHER@MAINE.BITNET (Michael W. Picher) (03/03/89)

Could somebody possibly sum up the advantages of using a 386sx over
say a 20 MHz 286???  Can they 387 be used at high speeds with the
386sx??

Mike

-------
Michael W. Picher,  Picher@Maine.Bitnet        University of Maine
 !  (207) 581-3936  Picher@Maine.Maine.Edu     Computer Info. Services
 !                                             117 Neville Hall
  :-----> UMNews Operations Manager            Orono, Me  04469

woan@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Ronald S. Woan) (03/03/89)

In article <1215PICHER@MAINE> PICHER@MAINE.BITNET (Michael W. Picher) writes:
>Could somebody possibly sum up the advantages of using a 386sx over
>say a 20 MHz 286???  Can they 387 be used at high speeds with the
>386sx??

Well, the quick and dirty answer is that the 386sx allows you to run 386
specific software that is becoming a little more prolific.  For example, you
could run windows/386 or the Desqview 386 utilities.  The '386 architecture
has quite a few extra commands and a more powerful mmu.  It also has a mode
that allows operating systems set up virtual 640k DOS sessions easily (I
think Desqview takes advantage of this).

What's the downside? It costs more to build a '386sx box than a '286 box
because the chip generally costs more.  By the way the '387sx is generally
used in conjunction with '386sx and not the regular '387 because the '387
requires a bigger databus, like the '386 itself.

							Cheers,
							Ron

P.S. if anyone finds a decent '386sx replacement module
for the '286, let me know. I can't bear to scrap my
current system, so will buy a new '386 or RISC box this year,
but would love to upgrade anyway.

|  "This whole right brain, left brain thing is just a plot on the part        |
|   of the humanities depart. to excuse their never having learned any science"|
|   Roger Dell, Prof. of Mathematics                                           |
|                                        Ronald Woan, woan@cory.berkeley.edu   |