[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MD-DOS disk emulator for UNIX & TCP/IP

deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) (03/02/89)

(Sorry if this appears twice, but my node burped after I
posted the first message.)

I am looking for a MS-DOS disk emulator for UNIX, Ethernet
and TCP/IP, and the appropriate device driver for a PC.
Does such a beast exist? I may need to implement the disk emulator
on multiple UNIX systems, some 68020/030, some 80386 based.

Alternatively, does a loader exist that can be ROMed into a PC
that will load a program at boot time from Ethernet & TCP/IP
from a UNIX host?

I am looking for a diskless PC solution using any UNIX, Ethernet
and TCP/IP system. Using a system like 3Com's is not an option
in this situation.

Dean
deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com
{rutgers, uwvax} uwmcsd1!lakesys!deanr

curci@stat.uucp (Ray Curci (scri)) (03/03/89)

In article <438@lakesys.UUCP> deanr@lakesys.UUCP (Dean Roth) writes:
>I am looking for a MS-DOS disk emulator for UNIX, Ethernet
>and TCP/IP, and the appropriate device driver for a PC.
>Does such a beast exist? I may need to implement the disk emulator
>on multiple UNIX systems, some 68020/030, some 80386 based.
>deanr@lakesys.lakesys.com
>{rutgers, uwvax} uwmcsd1!lakesys!deanr

I am not sure that I understand your questions, but I think what you are
looking for is PC-NFS from Sun Microsystems.  PC-NFS will run on almost any
PC/XT/AT/PS2 machine with a variety of ethernet boards (WD, 3COM, etc.)
You can set it up so that the PC will mount filesystems on a UNIX host
providing NFS server.  From MS-DOS, there appear new networked disks like
D: that correspond to the mounted file system.  You can sometimes get in
trouble with multiple people running non-networked applications that write
to the same files, but this is almost unavoidable using ms-dos.

curci@nu.cs.fsu.edu