[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Major Modem Woe: THE 9600B modem no good for interactive use

robertb@uw-june (Robert Bedichek) (02/17/89)

I just bought a pair of THE(r) 9600 baud modems and now find that
apparently they are unsuitable for interactive use at speeds above 2400
baud!  I wonder if any one on the net can shed light on my problem.

The problem is that they are half duplex and the modem takes a full
second to turn the line around.  The result is that response to key
strokes is delayed by a full second.

I called PC Network, the mail order company that I purchased from, and
they said they thought "that's just the way they work" and gave me the
number of the manufacturer, Fastcomm.  The guy at Fastcomm said "that's
just the way they work."  I said "so, these modems are not meant for
interactive use?", he replied "right."

I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a modem like the THE
9600, which is meant to be low cost ($400 apiece) and plug into PC's,
and make it not usable for 99 percent of the applications people with
PC's put their modems to.

I realize that the hardware to do 9600 in both directions at the same
time is expensive, but what's expensive about having the line be able
to switch directions in, say, 50 milliseconds (assuming a short-haul)?
Or having a low speed channel going the other way (I think that the
Telebit Trailblaisers have a 75 baud channel going the opposite
direction of the high speed channel)?

Am I really stuck?  PC Network is making noises like I can't return
these modems for cash, and perhaps not every for an in-store credit!

Can anyone recommend a 9600 baud modem that doesn't have this problem.
I'm thinking about getting the USR 9600 HST, which are $225 more per
modem, but which at least *work*.

	Rob "I'm-really-bummed" Bedichek

dmt@mtunb.ATT.COM (Dave Tutelman) (02/18/89)

In article <7298@june.cs.washington.edu> robertb@uw-june (Robert Bedichek) writes:
>I just bought a pair of THE(r) 9600 baud modems and now find that
>apparently they are unsuitable for interactive use at speeds above 2400
>baud!
>
>The problem is that they are half duplex and the modem takes a full
 			      ^^^^^^^^^^^
>second to turn the line around.
	That is what half-duplex means; it's that simple.  If the modem
	was advertised as half-duplex, you have only yourself to blame.
	I recognize that not everyone is a modem techie, BUT you ought
	to know what the buzzwords mean in the specs, when you buy
	something.

>The result is that response to key strokes is delayed by a full second.
	I know it's no consolation but "that's just the way they work."

>I find it hard to believe that anyone would design a modem like the THE
>9600, which is meant to be low cost ($400 apiece) and plug into PC's,
>and make it not usable for 99 percent of the applications people with
>PC's put their modems to.
	Half-duplex modems are intended for bulk data transfers, using
	block sizes large enough so that the line turn-around time
	for acknowledgment doesn't negate the line speed.  If two line
	turn-arounds take 1 sec (probably a reasonable number, and in
	agreement with your observation above) then the block size
	should be well over 9600 bits (1000 bytes).

	Certainly not efficient for interactive use, as you've
	noticed :-(, but certainly not useless for PCs.  YOU use YOUR
	modem for interactive communications, but lots of people only
	use their modem to download stuff from BBSs.  This modem is
	ideal for them.

>I realize that the hardware to do 9600 in both directions at the same
>time is expensive,
	There IS a way that's probably cheaper than the modem you bought,
	but you need TWO lines.  That's either two simultaneous phone
	calls, or a "four-wire private line".  Going 9600 bits per second
	full duplex on an average dial-up connection is a real trick.

>but what's expensive about having the line be able
>to switch directions in, say, 50 milliseconds (assuming a short-haul)?
	...and how does the modem know it's short-haul?  And why should
	that make a difference?  The turn-around delay isn't a function
	of how fast the signal travels; it's how fast the modem can
	reliably detect and synch to the signal.

>Or having a low speed channel going the other way (I think that the
>Telebit Trailblaisers have a 75 baud channel going the opposite
>direction of the high speed channel)?
	...so why didn't you buy a Telebit?
	Seriously, all these things are feasible but cost money.
	Someone aiming at a low-end PC-market 9600-baud modem is
	going to build a feasible equalizer/mod/demod, and spend
	NOTHING on the frills you suggest.

>Am I really stuck?  PC Network is making noises like I can't return
>these modems for cash, and perhaps not every for an in-store credit!
	I have no personal experience with PC Network,
	having been scared away by lots
	of previous postings on the net.  But I'm sure you'll get
	suggestions from those who have dealt with them.

>Can anyone recommend a 9600 baud modem that doesn't have this problem.
>I'm thinking about getting the USR 9600 HST, which are $225 more per
>modem, but which at least *work*.
	Is it Half-Duplex or Full-Duplex?  If full-duplex, can it work
	over a single dial-up connection?  If Half-duplex, what's its
	line-turn-around time?  Don't buy it without being satisfied
	with the answers to these questions.

>Rob "I'm-really-bummed" Bedichek

Rob, I'm sorry that you're bummed, and I'm sorry that I can't sound
more sympathetic with your plight.  I'm not angry with you, and I DO
feel sorry for your predicament.  But:
   -	Half-duplex has a meaning, it's an old and well-understood
	meaning, and you've just discovered what it is.
   -	The modem you bought is not a stupid product, as you intimated.
	It's just stupid for your intended application.

|    Dave Tutelman						|
|    Physical - AT&T Bell Labs  -  Lincroft, NJ			|
|    Logical -  ...att!mtunb!dmt				|
|    Audible -  (201) 576 2442					|

ddb@ns.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) (02/22/89)

In article <7298@june.cs.washington.edu> robertb@uw-june (Robert Bedichek) writes:
>Can anyone recommend a 9600 baud modem that doesn't have this problem.
>I'm thinking about getting the USR 9600 HST, which are $225 more per
>modem, but which at least *work*.

The USR HST is the modem of choice for fidonet bbs use at the moment (i.e.
most 9600 fidonet systems are using the hst).  I've got one and can offer
some comments.  It's 9600 baud one way with a 450 baud back-channel the other
way, and it turns the channels around as needed; with the back channel, a
turn-around isn't needed for an "ack" in file transfers, at least.  It works
fine for terminal connections, obviously.  I can't give time for the turnaround,
but you don't see turnarounds much in normal use.  I've never noticed
the delay :-).  It also supports 0-300, 1200, and 2400, and it supports
MNP up through level 5 as appropriate; having one of these might give you
some performance improvements even with systems not equipped for 9600, since
mnp level 3 gives a "real" 20% throughput improvement (real meaning not due
to data compression; you get it even with .arc files).  There's a lot to
be said for waiting until the 9600 baud market settles down, but my HST
works well and allows a lot of people to connect to me with fast throughput,
so I can't complain.  The HST and the Telebit seem to be the current market
leaders; for usenet you want telebit, for fidonet you want hst.  For other
things you want to be sure you know what they support before you buy :-).
--
David Dyer-Bennet, ddb@ns.network.com
or ...!{rutgers!dayton | amdahl!ems | uunet!rosevax}!umn-cs!ns!ddb

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (02/24/89)

In article <1149@ns.UUCP> ddb@ns.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:

| so I can't complain.  The HST and the Telebit seem to be the current market
| leaders; for usenet you want telebit, for fidonet you want hst.  For other
| things you want to be sure you know what they support before you buy :-).

  I'm told that the HST comes in a model (HST/ix??) which does uucico
'g' protocol spoofing, and that it's about as fast as the telebit. Could
anyone comment on this?
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) (02/25/89)

>Response 4 of 4 (1861) by davidsen at steinmetz on Fri 24 Feb 89 5:33
>[William E. Davidsen Jr]
>
>In article <1149@ns.UUCP> ddb@ns.UUCP (David Dyer-Bennet) writes:
>
>| so I can't complain.  The HST and the Telebit seem to be the current market
>| leaders; for usenet you want telebit, for fidonet you want hst.  For other
>| things you want to be sure you know what they support before you buy :-).
>
>  I'm told that the HST comes in a model (HST/ix??) which does uucico
>'g' protocol spoofing, and that it's about as fast as the telebit. Could
>anyone comment on this?

Sure -- HST/ix is a software AND hardare product.  Yes, it's nice -- IFF you
have another HST/ix set to talk to on the other end.

We were a beta site for the software -- the software _says_ it will work
with the Telebits too.  The appearance is a lot like Zmodem with some
compression layered on top of HDB UUCP; the major difference is that there
is a cutesy menu interface to the entire package.

The biggest problem you'll have is that there aren't many HST/ix kits out
there.... and since it's non-'g' protocol as far as I can tell you're out of
luck if the other end doesn't support what you're doing.

Without help the HSTs do TERRIBLY on uucp calls, as the back-channel is not
big enough to pass the "acks" without turning around the line.

---
Karl Denninger (karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM, ddsw1!karl)
Data: [+1 312 566-8912], Voice: [+1 312 566-8910]
Macro Computer Solutions, Inc.     "Quality solutions at a fair price"

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (02/27/89)

In article <[1861.5]karl@ddsw1.comp.ibmpc;1> karl@ddsw1.MCS.COM ([Karl Denninger]) writes:
>Without help the HSTs do TERRIBLY on uucp calls, as the back-channel is not
>big enough to pass the "acks" without turning around the line.

It's too bad that current implementations of uucp have problems with
using larger packet sizes.  The packet size information is exchanged
during the handshake process, but something isn't handled quite
right.  Maybe some combinations work - HDB/HDB or BSD/BSD.  We need a
good PD uucp implementation that does it right.

A 256 byte packet size would make a big difference for HST modems (the
ack would fit in the back channel) and for people using PC Pursuit.

--
  Jon Zeeff			zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us
  Ann Arbor, MI			mailrus!b-tech!zeeff

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (02/28/89)

In article <5138@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us> zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>The packet size information is exchanged during the handshake process, but
>something isn't handled quite right.

True. There are hardwired constants in places, and fixed size buffers.

>Maybe some combinations work - HDB/HDB or BSD/BSD.

Nope. Sometimes you get lucky, but that's about it.

>We need a good PD uucp implementation that does it right.

Several people have done this in their own UUCP's. Just don't call your new
protocol 'g', or you'll break all the existing implementations. The better
solution for modems like the HST is a streaming protocol, like 'f' but more
robust and less overhead. I keep toying with this idea, as does Rick Adams,
but we never get around to an implementation.

<csg>

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/02/89)

In article <60827@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:

| Several people have done this in their own UUCP's. Just don't call your new
| protocol 'g', or you'll break all the existing implementations. The better
| solution for modems like the HST is a streaming protocol, like 'f' but more
| robust and less overhead. I keep toying with this idea, as does Rick Adams,
| but we never get around to an implementation.

  One existing protocol which does very well at this is zmodem. Rather
than invent a new protocol, perhaps this could be added. It was designed
to run of long delay networks, and the back traffic is minimal.

  Maybe someone could suggest that UNIX international push on AT&T a
little and see if a new *standard* protocol could be added to HDB.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (03/02/89)

In article <13275@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  One existing protocol which does very well at this is zmodem. Rather
>than invent a new protocol, perhaps this could be added.

This is exacly what Rick and I were originally planning. After some study of
the zmodem protocol, however, I've decided against it. The zmodem protocol
is strictly for practically error free channels like X.25; error recovery
is expensive. It also requires 8-bit transparency.

What I want -- and I have the groundwork of a design -- is a streaming
protocol that provides fairly cheap error correction, and is thus suitable
over a variety of media, including standard non-intelligent modems. The
protocol would also have to be extensible, so new features could be added
without breaking existing installations. One place it would not work is
really trashy dialup lines; but that's what we have 'g' protocol for. :-)

<csg>

rkh@mtune.ATT.COM (Robert Halloran) (03/02/89)

In article <13275@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <60827@pyramid.pyramid.com> csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) writes:
>
>| Several people have done this in their own UUCP's. Just don't call your new
>| protocol 'g', or you'll break all the existing implementations. The better
>| solution for modems like the HST is a streaming protocol, like 'f' but more
>| robust and less overhead. I keep toying with this idea, as does Rick Adams,
>| but we never get around to an implementation.
>
>  One existing protocol which does very well at this is zmodem. Rather
>than invent a new protocol, perhaps this could be added. It was designed
>to run of long delay networks, and the back traffic is minimal.
>
>  Maybe someone could suggest that UNIX international push on AT&T a
>little and see if a new *standard* protocol could be added to HDB.

Unfortunately for this line of thought, the impression is that the features
being added to SysV are driven by the standards organizations (IEEE POSIX,
ANSI C, etc.) and the existing Unix applications market (BSD networking,
XENIX binary compatibility for Intel CPU's).  The fact that zmodem is a up
and coming protocol in the DOS world probably would make no difference to them,
since that's not where their interests lie.

						Bob Halloran
UUCP: att!mtune!rkh				Internet: rkh@mtune.ATT.COM
USPS: 17 Lakeland Dr, Port Monmouth NJ 07758	DDD: 201-495-6621 eve ET
Disclaimer: If you think AT&T would have ME as a spokesman, you're crazed.
Quote: "May: In Baton Rouge, the Rev. Jimmy Swaggart, announcing that he has
	been forgiven by the Lord, returns to his pulpit, where he receives
	a warm reception from 300 billion locusts."
		- Dave Barry's 1988 Year-In-Review

randy@chinet.chi.il.us (Randy Suess) (03/03/89)

In article <13240@steinmetz.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  I'm told that the HST comes in a model (HST/ix??) which does uucico
>'g' protocol spoofing, and that it's about as fast as the telebit. Could
>anyone comment on this?

	We just had the USR folks over to a local meeting where they
	donated two if their latest HST modems to CBBS.  They have
	*no* plans on a 'g' protocol spoofer.  Their new modem now
	runs 14,200 baud max.

--
Randy Suess
randy@chinet.chi.il.us

zeeff@b-tech.ann-arbor.mi.us (Jon Zeeff) (03/03/89)

From a coding point of view, it seems alot easier to fix the problems
with 'g' at larger packet sizes that to create a whole new protocol.
I'd guess that with a days effort, someone could make these modems
with small reverse channels work efficiently.  Uucp has some exchange
that indicates what packet sizes an implementation can use - if it
doesn't do it right, I agree, a new protocol letter should be used.

Come on AT&T, fix 'g' larger packet sizes in Sys V.4.

--
            ----- Use lint! -----