[comp.sys.ibm.pc] More complaints about IBM Corporation

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (03/04/89)

kluge@lan.informatik.tu-muenchen.dbp.de (Oliver Kluge)a writes:
(among other very useful info)

>Mr. Guenther Ruecker from IBM. He was the only person willing
>and able to help me, but his company's current policies prevented
>too much of that. Thanks!

I am amazed (seriously).

>BTW, IS THERE ANY   I B M   REPRESENTATIVE, TECHNICIAN OR WHATEVER
>FROM THE US TO GIVE A STATEMENT??? IS THIS A GOOD MARKETING
>STRATEGY TO GIVE EXPERIENCED USERS NOT THE   * CHANCE *   TO
>HAVE A   * B U G *   CORRECTED?

I ahve had considerable dealing with IBM lately (and IBM's dealer network).
The entire time spent on the effort was absolutely wasted.  I got an old IBM
EGA card without daughterboard as a gift.  I wanted the extra RAM so that I
could really use the thing (only 64k stock) so I thought "Well it'll probably
cost a lot but it's an IBM board, so I'll get one from IBM."  Silly me.  I
called a couple of dealers who told me that they did not want to order the
thing for me because it was low volume.  So I called IBM thinking I would just
buy it direct.  Nope -- gotta go through the dealer network; they did give me
the name of a dealer here in LA who could help me (so they said).  I called 'em
they said they could order it, they asked my company name and when I told them
that I was a private party they told me take my business elsewhere.  Finally I
wire wrapped the board up on my own!  Thank you IBM.  I have had similar dealing
with big blue over buggy versions of their assembler -- their respnse "Go buy
a new one."  No upgrade no nothing.  Go pay full price for a new one!  I'll
stick with Borland's now, they at least allow people to upgrade for less than
full price.  IBM folks on the net take note:  At present I may not be a real
big sales loss to you and I may never be, but there are plenty of folks out
there who feel as I do.  Come hell, high water, or income taxes, I will do my
best to avoid doing business with IBM anymore.  Maybe Macs aren't so bad after
all.  Clones are certainly wonderful in comparison, ALL of the clone dealers
and manufacturers I've dealt with have supported their products better than
IBM and at significantly lower prices.
Mike Loving          loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
                     . . . {hplabs,ucbvax,uunet}!cs.ucla.edu!loving