[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Using EGA with Zenith Z-151 PC

frisse@wucs1.wustl.edu (Mark Frisse) (03/02/89)

Can an EGA be used with a vintage-1985 Zenith Z-151 PC?  I have such a
PC -- I have no way of knowing the version number of its ROM-BIOS, but
the "monitor" function is copyright 1984. I installed a VEGA Deluxe
EGA card (vintage 1986 from Video 7) and Multisync monitor (original
version) using the card and monitor configurations that Video 7
recommends for this specific PC.  Turning on the computer then makes
the monitor come up with an orange border and a flashing white
center...no text or anything else.  The keyboard is also unresponsive
(except to Ctrl-Alt-Del).  (The monitor is influenced in SOME way by
the computer, since rebooting causes a transient rearrangement of
meaningless rectangles on the screen.)  This monitor/adapter
pair works just fine on an ancient IBM PC with an updated BIOS ROM.

Any ideas?  Zenith Data Systems has been no help (why should they
break tradition?).  Since I don't have an account that can access the
newsgroup, please mail any response to me at this address:

      beard@ibc3.wustl.edu

Thanks.

parker@epiwrl.EPI.COM (Alan Parker) (03/04/89)

In article <718@wucs1.wustl.edu> frisse@wucs1.wustl.edu (Mark Frisse) writes:
>Can an EGA be used with a vintage-1985 Zenith Z-151 PC?  I have such a
>PC

Yes.  You need the latest ROM version.   I don't recall the part number,
but any Heath/Zenith retail store can tell you.  I had no trouble at all
doing this a few months ago.

>Zenith Data Systems has been no help (why should they
>break tradition?).

I don't believe you tried very hard.  I called their customer support
number and told them what I had and what I wanted to do.  They told me
exactly what ROM I needed and how much it costs.  Try to get IBM to sell
you a ROM upgrade to the PC 1!   The ROM was only about $12 by the way.
I've always found Heath/Zenith more than reasonable to deal with;
considering this is a mass market now.