[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Draw Program

guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (02/19/89)

Does anyone know of a "Draw" program for the IBM PC similar to MacDraw?
I am interested in a tool that draws texts, circles, arrows, etc., *but*
is aware of the objects that you draw so that you can enlarge/shrink them
or move or delete them on an object basis, not on a pixel block basis.
All of the "paint" programs I have seen simply dump the object into the paint
buffer and forget about them (with the exception of 1 undo step).  Any
time you want to move something, you must move a solid area of pixels.
If you want to delete something, you have to rub it out pixel by pixel
by repainting in background color.

Any ideas?

	Vince Guarna
	University of Illinois
	(217) 244-0071

dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu (02/21/89)

I have used a program named IN*A*VISION from Micrographix that appears to
me to be an excellent drawing package.  Draws various geometrical figures
from circles to polygons, many fill patterns, many text fonts, and
drawing modes from snap-to-grid to freehand.  Also, figures and/or
text can be resized or moved pretty much at will.

I used this package on an HP Vectra running MSDOS 3.10 using a
Microsoft serial mouse.

Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: I speak for myself, and have no connections with
Micrographix.  Also, the various trademarks and copyrighted names
above are trademarks and copyrights of the various companies that
trademarked and copyrighted them.

     David Pointer                         CSRD
     dpointer@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu         305 Talbot Lab
     (217) 244-6392                        104 S. Wright St.
                                           Urbana, IL  61801

todd@stiatl.UUCP (Todd Merriman) (02/21/89)

In article <42900033@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

>Does anyone know of a "Draw" program for the IBM PC similar to MacDraw?
>I am interested in a tool that draws texts, circles, arrows, etc., *but*

I think you would be surprised at the power of the "PAINT" program that comes
with Microsoft windows (at no extra charge).  It is integrated with the
(primitive) word processor that also comes with MS-Windows.  If you consider
the price of MS-Windows and all of the utilities that come with it, there
is no better bargain in the software market place.

	...!gatech!stiatl!todd
	Todd Merriman 404-377-8638
	Atlanta, GA

boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (02/21/89)

>/* Written  9:33 am  Feb 19, 1989 by guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu in iuvax:comp.sys.ibm.pc */
>/* ---------- "Draw Program" ---------- */
>
>Does anyone know of a "Draw" program for the IBM PC similar to MacDraw?
>I am interested in a tool that draws texts, circles, arrows, etc., *but*
>is aware of the objects that you draw so that you can enlarge/shrink them
>or move or delete them on an object basis, not on a pixel block basis.
>All of the "paint" programs I have seen simply dump the object into the paint
>buffer and forget about them (with the exception of 1 undo step).  Any
>time you want to move something, you must move a solid area of pixels.
>If you want to delete something, you have to rub it out pixel by pixel
>by repainting in background color.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>	Vince Guarna
>	University of Illinois
>	(217) 244-0071
>/* End of text from iuvax:comp.sys.ibm.pc */

GEM Draw from Digital Research is very similar to the MAC Draw program.  I
have used both and prefer GEM Draw to Mac Draw.  The only DRAWback :-) to
the GEM package is that it does not support encapsulated postscript for
importing files to Word Processing or DTP programs.  Other than that it is a
very solid program (and maybe if enough people complain they will support EPS).

Dave Boyer

alexande@drivax.DRI (Mark Alexander) (02/23/89)

In article <36300034@iuvax> boyer@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu writes:
>GEM Draw from Digital Research is very similar to the MAC Draw program...
>The only DRAWback :-) to  the GEM package is that it does not support
>encapsulated postscript for importing files to Word Processing or DTP
>programs.

Draw pictures (.GEM files) can be incorporated into Ventura Publisher
and GEM Desktop Publisher documents directly, without using EPS.

You have more of problem with programs that don't read .GEM files.
It's true that Draw doesn't produces EPS (actually GEM's PostScript
driver is at fault here).  However, you can edit the files "pst.pre"
and "pst.cnf" that come with GEM to make some word processors happy.
I've done this with Borland Sprint and GEM 3.1.

Here is the modified PST.CNF file that I use with Sprint:

eoftype(MAC)
imgtype(FAST)
margins(18 18 18 18)
resfont(LW+)

The change is the "eoftype" line.  It tells GEM not to put a Control-D
at the end of the PostScript file.

Here are the differences between the standard PST.PRE and the version
I modified for Sprint (called PST.SPR for comparison purposes).

*** pst.pre
--- pst.spr
**************
*** 1,4
  % Copyright (C) Digital Research, Inc. 1986, 1987. All rights reserved.
  systemdict /setpacking known {/svp currentpacking def true setpacking}if
  /gemdict 250 dict def
  gemdict begin
--- 1,7 -----
  % Copyright (C) Digital Research, Inc. 1986, 1987. All rights reserved.
+ % Modified by Mark Alexander
+ %	matinit has been changed to not center the image on the page.
+ %	This makes it easier to import graphics into Borland SPRINT.
  systemdict /setpacking known {/svp currentpacking def true setpacking}if
  /gemdict 250 dict def
  gemdict begin
**************
*** 18,27
  /geminit{np 1 setlinejoin /mpf true def
  	/encstr 80 string def gs}bd
  /matinit{/landscape ed /p3 ed /p2 ed /p1 ed
! 	gr 72 300 div exch div dup scale clippath pathbbox exch /prx ed
! 	exch dup /ply ed sub 1 add p3 sub 2 div ply add /ty ed
! 	dup prx exch sub 1 add p2 sub 2 div add
! 	landscape{p1 add}if ty translate
  	landscape{90 rotate p2 /p1 ed p3 /p2 ed p1 /p3 ed}if
  	gs}bd
  /gr /grestore load def
--- 21,27 -----
  /geminit{np 1 setlinejoin /mpf true def
  	/encstr 80 string def gs}bd
  /matinit{/landscape ed /p3 ed /p2 ed /p1 ed
! 	gr 72 300 div exch div dup scale
  	landscape{90 rotate p2 /p1 ed p3 /p2 ed p1 /p3 ed}if
  	gs}bd
  /gr /grestore load def

In addition, if your Draw picture is smaller than full page, you
will have to manually edit the BoundingBox comment in the PostScript
file to reflect the actual picture size.  GEM always assumes it's 8x10.5;
it doesn't know how big the pictures really is.

The line normally looks like this:

%%BoundingBox: 0 0 575 755

This gives the x and y coordinates of the lower left and upper right
corners of a rectangle that surrounds the entire picture.  The units
are in points (1/72 inch).
--
Mark Alexander	(amdahl!drivax!alexande)

thaler@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Maurice Thaler) (02/23/89)

There are several object or VECTOR oriented "draw" programs for the PC.
The best are
ARTS & LETTERS
GEM ARTLINE
DESIGNER
ILLUSTRATOR (I am not sure if this is released yet)
CORAL DRAW

They all do what you want. They are all quite pricey too, about $500

Maurice Thaler   SYSOP  Audio Projects BBS (608) 836-9473
                 SYSOP  Power Board    BBS (608) 222-8842

cad@msn005.misemi (_syscad_) (02/24/89)

Subject: Re: Draw Program
Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc

In article <42900033@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anyone know of a "Draw" program for the IBM PC similar to MacDraw?
> I am interested in a tool that draws texts, circles, arrows, etc., *but*
> is aware of the objects that you draw so that you can enlarge/shrink them
> or move or delete them on an object basis, not on a pixel block basis.

The program we use for doing most drawing applications is Draw Plus by
Micrografx. Besides the standard arcs, rectangles etc. it has additional
features such as arrows, measurements, fills and more.  It is 'object
oriented' so that all components can be treated individually or combined
to form library symbols.

I've tried GEM Draw+, Generic CADD, Turbo CAD and still find Draw Plus
to be the best for presentation style drawings.

Alan Nakamoto
Mitel Corporation

victoro@crash.cts.com (Victor O'Rear) (02/27/89)

I would like to find a drawing program (not objects) that produces pixel
level output (300dpi) for our postscript printer.

|  Victor O'Rear {hplabs!hp-sdd, cbosgd, ucsd, nosc.mil}!crash!victoro       |
|  USnail: P.O. Box 3972, La Mesa, California  92044, United States of America|
|  mil : crash!victoro@nosc.ARPA and work: (619) 571-1222                    |
|  "Fools, Idiots! Don't they realize that they are dealing with forces      |
|        beyond comprehension!" - "Doctor Science"                            |

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) (02/28/89)

In article <42900033@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> Does anyone know of a "Draw" program for the IBM PC similar to MacDraw?
> I am interested in a tool that draws texts, circles, arrows, etc., *but*
> is aware of the objects that you draw so that you can enlarge/shrink them

You should check out VP-Graphics by Paperback Software.  It is completely
object-oriented, allowing you to size all the objects drawn as you described.
It allows you to "group" multiple objects into a single object and then
deal with it/them as a single object.  It allows you to "ungroup" such
objects later, should you wish so go back to using a single one.  It
accepts Lotus PIC files directly, allowing for quick enhancements.  It's
biggest limitation, in my opinion, is the limited set of fonts available.
But for the price (usually <$60) it's a real value.

Byron Lunz
Tektronix, Beaverton, OR

gary@dvnspc1.Dev.Unisys.COM (Gary Barrett) (03/04/89)

In article <2895@copper.MDP.TEK.COM>, byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) writes:
> In article <42900033@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu>, guarna@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:
> >
> > Does anyone know of a "Draw" program for the IBM PC similar to MacDraw?
> > I am interested in a tool that draws texts, circles, arrows, etc., *but*
> > is aware of the objects that you draw so that you can enlarge/shrink them
>
> You should check out VP-Graphics by Paperback Software.  It is completely
> object-oriented, allowing you to size all the objects drawn as you described.
> It allows you to "group" multiple objects into a single object and then

I heartily agree.  I use my own copy of VP-Graphics at work.  Its one
limitation is the small number of printer types it supports.  But even
so, the clincher for me is that it allows me to "print" postscript files to
disk so that I can download them to my printer server!  Not bad for a
50 dollar draw package!

I use a mouse.  That combined with the pgm's ability to create objects from
groups of other objects speeds my job right along.  Add that to its
presentation graphics capabilities and the price cannot be beat!  I
retired the Windows Paint (MS Windows) my boss gave me.

It's one more terrific bargain from Paperback Software, a company who
deserves as much recognition in its own way as Borland.