[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Communications Hardware and Interrupt Processing

ww10bag@sdcc15.ucsd.edu (David Etherton) (02/27/89)

I am interested in writing a TSR communications program for the IBM
PC.  I can handle the DOS re-entrancy problem, along with all the
other messy things in TSR's, but unfortunately, I know absolutely
nothing about the hardware, and the BIOS routines just will not
serve my needs.  Could anyone recommend where I can find
information concerning:

	- I/O port assignments (AND USAGE) for all COM port-related
	  items.
	- Initialization procedures, along with any special tricks
	  about interrupt processing for the UART chip.
	- The formats of communications protocals like X-modem and
	  Z-modem.

I really don't know where to start, (maybe PC Tech journal?) and a
nudge in the right direction would help, too.  Please send e-mail.

David Etherton  |  detherton@ucsd.edu  |  detherto@ucsd.BITNET

tcm@srhqla.UUCP (Tim Meighan) (03/04/89)

In article <1220@sdcc15.ucsd.edu> ww10bag@sdcc15.UUCP (David Etherton) writes:

>Could anyone recommend where I can find information concerning:
>
>	- I/O port assignments (AND USAGE) for all COM port-related
>	  items.
>	- Initialization procedures, along with any special tricks
>	  about interrupt processing for the UART chip.

Here is a book I HIGHLY recommend:

Compute!'s MAPPING THE IBM-PC

This is the single best source of hardware, interrupt, port, and timer
info for the PC that I have ever found.  And you'd never know it
by the title.  There's stuff in here that I have only found in INTEL
manuals.  And they explain it better, to boot.  However, this is more
a reference than a tutorial, so the "how to" stuff, while there, is
not real extensive.

Tim Meighan
SilentRadio

"Beware!  Your brain may no longer be the boss!"