[comp.sys.ibm.pc] flamage about used hardware docs

nobody@tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM (-for inetd server command) (03/01/89)

In article <8400010@gistdev> dlp@gistdev.UUCP writes:

>there's no excuse for 'not knowing anything about it'.  I am sick of seeing
>notes that basically say 'I got a real bargain deal on <hardware>, but the
>guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it, and of course I didn't
>ask any questions, let alone call the police.  Can I get the docs for it
>from the net for free?  Thanks loads, suckers.'  I'm also sick of seeing
>notes about bargain deals on <hardware> at auctions, swap meets, etc.

This sort of flaming doesn't seem to be in the spirit of cooperation
that I think this news group is all about.  It seems to me that no one
is looking for a free ride, they are just looking for pointers to
information.  I don't see how asking about pointers to hardware
documentation differs from asking about documentation for software or
anything else.  People routinely exchange man pages and README files
via e-mail, why should hardware docs be any different?  Naturally,
each user should consider the cost of transmitting such documents, and
use paper mail where the cost might otherwise be prohibitive.

The comments in the quote above seem to presume that all undocumented
hardware is stolen.  I really must take exception to this assertion.
The author of the above remarks may not have realized that the PC has
become so widely used that disks, boards and other components are
becoming a commodity.  Used parts are beginning appear from reputable
dealers just like used parts for automobiles.  Like automobiles, the
original owner may not have kept all the documentation for a given
part, or they may have never had it in the first place, for legitimate
reasons.  (e.g. PC's, like automobiles, are sometimes sold as a
pre-configured package, the system integrator does not always include
all component documentation.)

I maintain that one of the intended functions of this news group is to
help people gain knowledge about the use and maintenance of PC's.
With this in mind, I feel that the exchange of information about
hardware, used or otherwise, is appropriate and should not be flamed.

If my interpretation of what is appropriate for this news group is
wrong, please let me know.  I don't want to violate network etiquette,
so correct me if I am wrong, but please, do so in a rational tone and
with an open mind.

							stank

US Mail: Stan Kalinowski, Tektronix, Inc.
         Information Display Group, Interactive Technologies Division
         PO Box 1000, MS 61-028, Wilsonville OR 97070   Phone:(503)-685-2458
uucp:    {ucbvax,decvax,allegra,uw-beaver}!tektronix!orca!stank

jlh@loral.UUCP (Physically Phffft) (03/02/89)

In article <8400010@gistdev> dlp@gistdev.UUCP writes:

>there's no excuse for 'not knowing anything about it'.  I am sick of seeing
>notes that basically say 'I got a real bargain deal on <hardware>, but the
>guy I got it from couldn't tell me anything about it, and of course I didn't
>ask any questions, let alone call the police.  Can I get the docs for it
>from the net for free?  Thanks loads, suckers.'  I'm also sick of seeing
>notes about bargain deals on <hardware> at auctions, swap meets, etc.

So what high-crime-rate ghetto did you just crawl out from?  Last month
I posted a question on the hardware in my system here at work, the
previous owner went on to greener (I hope) pastures and nobody could
find any documentation on the system.  There was a card in it with the
company name Irwin on it and nothing else, I didn't even know what it
was until net people informed me Irwin makes tape backup systems.  I'm
sure the company bought it, and not from some guy in a long coat with
XTs on the left sleeve and ATs on the right.  Have you ever been to an
electronic swap meet?  How about an auction where they clear out the
inventory for a company that went tits up?  Or how about good ol' Fred,
who thought he'd use his AT to balance his checkbook, then left it in
the closet for two years.  Lets be honest, I'd say most people who want
hardware info got their hardware legitamatly (sp), not off some crazed
crack fiend whose main source of income is the hot burglary.

							Jim

--
Jim Harkins		jlh@loral.cts.com
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego

peter@apexepa.UUCP (Peter Palij) (03/04/89)

In article <1918@loral.UUCP> jlh@loral.UUCP (Physically Phffft) writes:
>In article <8400010@gistdev> dlp@gistdev.UUCP writes:

>inventory for a company that went tits up?  Or how about good ol' Fred,
                                   ^^^^^^^
                                   belly up is a less sexest way of saying
the same thing....
--
Peter Palij                                               uunet!apexepa!peter