[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard disk: timepark or no timepark?

deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) (03/06/89)

I recently downloaded TIMEPARK from simtel20 and it seems to work on my
PS/2 30-286 as described.

But one question hunts me: does TIMEPARK hurt the disk more than it
tries to save? I suppose TIMEPARK powers off a hard disk before parking
its head. However, the power surge during power-on and off can be
hazardous to a disk module. And the unstability of the head during
those periods would make the hard disk more vulnerable to scatching.

Was there any study on this subject? Any information will be appreciated.

Mingqi

rlb@cs.odu.edu (Robert Lee Bailey) (03/07/89)

In article <4337@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu> deng@shire (Mingqi Deng) writes:
>I recently downloaded TIMEPARK from simtel20 and it seems to work on my
>PS/2 30-286 as described.
>
>But one question hunts me: does TIMEPARK hurt the disk more than it
>tries to save? I suppose TIMEPARK powers off a hard disk before parking
>its head. However, the power surge during power-on and off can be
>hazardous to a disk module. And the unstability of the head during
>those periods would make the hard disk more vulnerable to scatching.
Parking a hard drive does not turn off the power.  Parking only means that
the head is moved to a track position which is beyond the area where data
is stored.  When the head is moved to the park position (usually the
last track of the disk), it helps to prevent the loss of data due to
power failures, jarring, etc.  Since the last track will normally contain no
data, if the system hiccups, and the hard disk accidentally writes something,
it is written in an area where no data is located.  Therefore, no data will
be lost (at least in theory).

yphotons@athena.mit.edu (Sun Warrior) (03/07/89)

Does anybody know of any pc software or computer or anything really
that can do the following. Lets you digitize some one and then after
you have digitized them you can put different hairstyles on their
head.  Something you are likely to find in a beauty salon. I am
looking for something like this not for playing with but for
professional reasons. If you can help please drop me a line at:

yphotons@athena.mit.edu