[comp.sys.ibm.pc] 3.5" on XT clone?

holly@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Joe Hollingsworth) (03/04/89)

I have an IBM PC XT clone running PC DOS 3.10, what do I have to do to
be able to hook up a 3.5" floppy drive to my machine?

Thanks,
Joe

holly@cis.ohio-state.edu  or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!holly

HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET (03/05/89)

In article <38129@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, holly@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Joe    lingsworth) says:
>I have an IBM PC XT clone running PC DOS 3.10, what do I have to do to
>be able to hook up a 3.5" floppy drive to my machine?

There is a way to do it in DOS3.2.  You can add a command line in CONFIG.SYS:
DRIVPARM=/d:1 /f:2 to define drive B as 720K.  Also, in DOS3.3, you can add
DEVICE=DRIVER.SYS /d:1 /f:2 /t:80 in CONFIG.SYS to define drive B as 720K.
There is a bug in DOS3.3 however, you have to use "format D:" instead of B:,
other commands will work fine.  This bug has not been addressed by IBM or
Microsoft but has been mentioned by some netters.  The solution is to put :A
(ctrl-A) in DRIVPARM statement make it look like DRIVPARM=:A/d:1 /f:2 and it
will work in DOS3.3.

                                                   _____    ___
H. WU       HJW2@PSUVM.BITNET                       _|_    |___|
            BUSINESS LOGISTICS DEPARTMENT          |_|_|   |___|
            THE PENNSYLVANIA STATE UNIVERSITY     _|_|_|_  |___|
                                                   |   |    / |__|

optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/05/89)

In article <38129@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu>, holly@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu (Joe Hollingsworth) writes:
> I have an IBM PC XT clone running PC DOS 3.10, what do I have to do to
> be able to hook up a 3.5" floppy drive to my machine?
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>
> holly@cis.ohio-state.edu  or ...!{att,pyramid,killer}!cis.ohio-state.edu!holly

The main thing you need to do is upgrade your DOS to 3.20 or higher.
If you planning to install a 720K drive, this is it.
If you want to install a 1.44M/720K drive and want to use it to
work with both types of diskettes, then you need (if you don't
already have one) a new floppy controller which can handle the
1.44MB floppies.

Qiwu Liu
Univ. of KS

casey@well.UUCP (Kathleen Creighton) (03/06/89)

You have to go to DOS 3.2.  And I believe you might need a different
controller.

yon@apollo.COM (David Yon) (03/08/89)

>I have an IBM PC XT clone running PC DOS 3.10, what do I have to do to
>be able to hook up a 3.5" floppy drive to my machine?

	Upgrade your DOS, preferably DOS 3.3.   As far as hardware goes,
you shouldn't need anything else.  I was able to run a 720K 3.5" drive
in tandem with my 360K 5.25" floppy on the same old XT controller.  You
just can't run 1.44M disks with it.  You can buy a 1.44M drive, but you
won't be able to take advantage of the higher density unless you get a
better controller (someone correct me if I'm wrong here).  So it might
be worth the extra money if you think you might pursue 1.44M in the
future.

David Yon