[comp.sys.ibm.pc] XNS Specs

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (03/04/89)

Does anyone know what the XNS spec is supposed to allow ?

I know that it has something to do with managing extended memory, but I do
not know exactly what.  Does it give more than 640K of DOS memory available
to applications?  Or does it allow access to extended memory for programs
written to the XNS specs?

Any information woudl be appreciated,

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

steve@jhereg.Jhereg.MN.ORG (Steve Peterson) (03/08/89)

In article <127@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>Does anyone know what the XNS spec is supposed to allow ?
>
>I know that it has something to do with managing extended memory, but I do
>not know exactly what.  Does it give more than 640K of DOS memory available
>to applications?  Or does it allow access to extended memory for programs
>written to the XNS specs?
>
>Any information woudl be appreciated,
>
>Dan
>
>benderly@cs.columbia.edu

This text came on my HIMEM driver disk.  You should call Microsoft to get
the information.

---

HIMEM.SYS is an installable device driver which conforms to the XMS
(eXxtended Memory Specification) Version 2.0. It allows MS-DOS
programs on 80286 and 80386 systems with extended memory to access
the extended memory using a standard, machine independent manner. It
also allows MS-DOS programs to utilize a 64KB region of memory located
just above the 1MB boundary for code and data. Microsoft Windows
currently makes use of this area.

If you have an expanded memory (EMS, not XMS) board, you can usually
configure the board so that some part of the memory is allocated to
extended memory (64K would be optimal), leaving the rest as expanded.

If other extended memory programs are also being loaded which do not
use the XMS interface to manage the extended memory, they should be
configured to leave at least 64KB of extended memory free.

To obtain the latest version of HIMEM.SYS, or receive a copy of the
XMS specification, call Microsoft at (800) 426-9400.

Steve Peterson                                INTERNET: steve@jhereg.mn.org
FOURTH SHIFT Corporation                            Compuserve [72220,2773]