[comp.sys.ibm.pc] WordPerfect 5.0 and PostScript

kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) (03/07/89)

I seem to be having minor trouble generating PostScript with WordPerfect
5.0.  I have by far had the best luck in printing on networked Apple
LaserWriters with WordPerfect 5.0.  However, I still am having one minor
glitch with this set-up.  At certain times, WordPerfect reverts to Courier 12
no matter what font I have set in the printer set-up.  At first, I though this
was only when I had certain fonts which weren't available selected.
Now, it seems that this happens even when I have a font selected that
has worked before.  For instance, I had been using Helvetica 12 with
consistent success, but it suddenly reverted to Courier 12 again.  The only
difference in my two test documents, one which was Helvetica 12 and one
which wound up as Courier 12 was that the Courier 12 document was
much longer.  But this experiment isn't always reproducible.

It is not just the fault of the printer- I have actually checked the
PostScript source and it is indeed setting Courier 12 at random times.
I have run out of places to look...  What causes WordPerfect to suddenly
revert to Courier 12??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

- Kurt

Kurt Geisel                       SNAIL :
Carnegie Mellon University            65 Lambeth Dr.
ARPA : kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu           Pittsburgh, PA 15241
UUCP : uunet!nfsun!kgeisel  "I will not be pushed, filed, indexed, stamped,
BIX  : kgeisel               briefed, debriefed, or numbered!" - The Prisoner

optical@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (03/08/89)

In article <4Y4iCky00W0TM2aFpB@andrew.cmu.edu>, kg19+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kurt A. Geisel) writes:
> I seem to be having minor trouble generating PostScript with WordPerfect
> 5.0.  I have by far had the best luck in printing on networked Apple
> LaserWriters with WordPerfect 5.0.  However, I still am having one minor
> glitch with this set-up.  At certain times, WordPerfect reverts to Courier 12
> no matter what font I have set in the printer set-up.  At first, I though this
> was only when I had certain fonts which weren't available selected.
> Now, it seems that this happens even when I have a font selected that
> has worked before.  For instance, I had been using Helvetica 12 with
> consistent success, but it suddenly reverted to Courier 12 again.  The only
> difference in my two test documents, one which was Helvetica 12 and one
> which wound up as Courier 12 was that the Courier 12 document was
> much longer.  But this experiment isn't always reproducible.
>
> It is not just the fault of the printer- I have actually checked the
> PostScript source and it is indeed setting Courier 12 at random times.
> I have run out of places to look...  What causes WordPerfect to suddenly
> revert to Courier 12??
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> - Kurt

  I am a WordPerfect user, and we have an Apple LaserWriter II/NX.
I have not encountered this problem yet with our newly upgraded
Wordperfect 5.0.  We did have some problems with it before it was
upgraded. WordPerfect Corp. sent the upgrade package to us in Feb.
(the files are dated 01/15/1989). If you have not receive this
upgrade package (maybe you already received it), you better give
WP a call.

--- Qiwu Liu

University of Kansas