[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Summery: differences/compatibilities among VGA/EGA/MCGA/CGA/PGA

deng@shire.cs.psu.edu (03/07/89)

Weeks ago, I posted a question about VGA, EGA and CGA. Thanks for those
who responsed. I think other netters can also benefit from these notes.
Here is the summery of the responses I got.

--------------------------------
Those three are (color graphics) video display standards.  In each case,
the term originally applied only to IBM hardware ...

Unfortunately, IBM did not supply adequate BIOS support even for TEXT mode
operation, so that software developers were forced to write software that
manipulated the hardware directly, so that hardware compatibility is a
significant issue.  IBM compatible display adapters STILL do not supply
any BIOS support for graphics operations, making it very difficult to
add new gee-whiz graphics hardware to IBM systems.

CGA is the oldest standard.  It supports 80x25(x16 colors) and 40x25(x16)
text modes, and 640x200x2, 320x200x4 graphics modes.  The limit in the
graphics modes is caused by a 16K display buffer limit.  The original IBM
CGA had a glitch:  if you updated the display except during horizontal or
vertical retrace periods, you got "snow" on the screen.  CGA uses a
RGBi monitor (i.e. 4 signals: red,green,blue,intensity, yeilding 16
combinations).

EGA is the middle standard.  While EGA can emulate the CGA modes, the
control registers are not exactly the same.  CGA-based Programs which
use the BIOS to set up the various operational modes, and then use
either BIOS or direct hardware writes to update the display will
function properly with an EGA.  EGA provides additional modes of
80x43x16 text, 640x350x16 graphics.  EGA also has a "pallete" of 64
colors, of which 16 at a time can be displayed.  EGA uses a RGBrgb
monitor (i.e. 6 signals: low intensity and high intensity red,green
and blue, yielding 64 combinations).

VGA is the latest standard.  These originally were available only on
PS/2 machines, but clone makers have outdone IBM again.  VGA is
almost-compatible with EGA:  most of the control registers are
identical:  only a few unused bits now have meanings.  A few random
differences:  VGA does not support a light-pen, and does not have
retrace interrupt support.  VGA adds a 80x50x16 text mode and
640x480x16 and 320x200x256 graphics modes.  VGA adds a true color
pallette:  Each "color" in the EGA pallette can now represent any one
of 262164 possible colors by converting 64 bits each of red,green,blue
data into an analog color.  VGA uses an ANALOG monitor, which means
that it theoretically can display an infinite variety of colors.

> and what 'campatible to VGA and EGA' implies?

As with any other claim of compatibility, they mean whatever you want
them to mean.  Because of the lack of BIOS support, all IBM display
adapters MUST be compatible at some level to be able to operate.
There are usually 2 levels of compatibility: 1. BIOS compatible, which
implies that if you set display modes via the BIOS, then you can
successfully write to the hardware directly to update the display:
(i.e. EGA and VGA display boards are BIOS compatible with the CGA).
The other level of compatibility is REGISTER compatibility:  This
means that ALL the hardware control registers are compatible with the
IBM version of the display adapter, and any software which manipulates
these registers directly will function properly.

     john nelson

UUCP:	{decvax,mit-eddie}!genrad!teddy!jpn
smail:	jpn@teddy.genrad.com

------------------------------

I'm not directly familiar with VGA, but I've never seen anything in the
config.sys file having to do with display unless you use the ANSI.SYS driver.
....  I'm pretty sur video cards are self-configuring.

The model 30 uses a hybrid display mode called MCGA.  It's only available on
the Model 30 and 25 with 8086 processors.  It's a modified version of CGA and
hasn't really been supported by developers.  They see it as something that's not
really worth supporting because VGA is a much better display standard and there
aren't as many MCGA displays as EGA or VGA.  Unfortunately, that's all there is
to it.  I'm pretty sure that you can bump your display back down to CGA mode
and should be able to use just about everything you want in that mode.  Of course, the display won't be as good...

-Ace
 swerling@caen.engin.umich.edu (Ace Swerling)
------------------------------
CGA (Color Graphics Array) is 320x200 with 4 colors out of a palette of 16
EGA (Enhanced GA) is 320x200 with 16 colors out of 256.
MCGA (Multi-color GA) is 320x200 with 256 out of 256,000 or
			 640x480 with only 2 colors
VGA (Video GA) is 320x200 with 256 colors out of 256,000 or
                  640x480 with 16 colors out of 256 colors

Some VGA have 800x600 with only 2 colors.

Being compatible with these grpahics systems means that the program will
send the appropriate signals to turn on the right pixels.  Some VGA adapters,
however, are not downward compatible or register-compantible and therefore will
not run CGA, EGA, etc.  A good one to get is Quadram Quad 4 Plus.

Jason Gross     Comp Sci Ugrad     University of Miami     Class of '91 (?)
"Not my goddamn    | At the tone, leave your reply and Visa card number at:
 planet, monkey-   |         Internet: gtww2z9z@umiami.miami.edu
 boy." - B. Banzai |           Bitnet: The man said "Soon!"
** Disclaimer: Disclaimer?  Why, I never claimed 'er in the first place! **

CGA, EGA and VGA all stand for IBM's video interface standards, and each
corresponds to an adapter card that IBM provided with various systems.  The
main difference between them is in resolution of the image and the number of
colors available.

CGA (Color Graphics Adapter) was first available with early PC systems,
and provides 16 colors and 640 lines X 200 lines of resolution.  Most
graphics- and color-oriented software written until recent years was
written for this standard.  Its character rendition is generally considered to
be poor for text-intensive applications.

EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adapter) has gained popularity more recently, due to
its superior character rendition in either 25- or 43-line modes, and greater
graphics resolution (up to 640 X 350).  EGA can also display 16 simultaneous
colors, but these 16 are drawn from a palette of 64.  EGA requires a monitor
capable of handling the higher resolution is required for an EGA adapter card.
EGA cards are generally fully CGA-compatible.  Most business software and other
recent software (including MicroSoft Windows) requires EGA.

VGA is the latest and greatest.  It was introduced by IBM with its PS/2 line.
It supports up to 640 X 480 resolution, and 16 colors frmo a palette of
256,000 (!) colors.  Actually, one VGA mode supports lower resolution
(320 X 200) with 256 simultaneous colors.  The popular MultiSync or
MultiScanning monitors you may have seen around are able to handle
higher-than-EGA resolutions, and in some cases, VGA.  Because of the higher
clock rates and bandwidth required for VGA, VGA-compatible monitors use
analog display technology instead of the TTL (digital) technology used before.
The MultiSync monitors have two input connectors and can handle the two
different output modes, depending on the adapter card to which they're
connected.

It sounds like you're shopping either for a card or a monitor, so I suggest
you take peek at BYTE February and March '88.

= Marc Johnson			    BITNET:   rna!marc@rockvax.bitnet         =
= Rockefeller Univ. Neurobiology    UUCP:     ...cmcl2!rna!marc               =
= New York City                     INTERNET: marc%rna@rocky2.rockefeller.edu =
=                                             (129.85.2.1)                    =
------------------------------
	CGA = Colour graphics adapter.
	Likje a monochrome display adapter with 160x100 16 colour,
320x200 4 colour and 640x200 monochrome graphics. Colour registers
exist on CGA and EGA with 6 bits for each colour which define the physical
colour displayed for a given colour number.

 	EGA = Enhanced graphics adapter
	Can emulate a CGA to an extent - some clone boards emulate CGA
properly - as well as a 640x350 monochrome, 640x350 16 colour. Text is
much easier to read on EGA than CGA

	VGA = Video Graphics Adapter
	Can emulate EGA and CGA - most can do so fully. Some also emulate
MDA and Hercules. Ideally you should try to get one which has full register
level downward compatibility with CGA and EGA. Text modes are enhances by adding
an extra 50 scan lines (350->400), and there are 3 new graphics modes -
640x480 2 colour, 640x480 16 colour and 320x200 256colour. There are 64
... oops 256 colour registers each with 24 bits, although only 18 bits are
used, with 256000 possible colours and shades. Most modes can take advantage
of this. Some cards have additinal modes including:
    132x44 text, 132x25 and 132x28 all with 4 colours
    1056x352, 1056x350, 1056x364 all 16 colours
    640x40 800x600 256 colours
    024x768 16 colours

Internet: avenger@runx.ips.oz.au              ________________________
UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!avenger           /\                       \
					     \_|                       |
Watch out for gobbledocks -		       |   Core Publications   |
They'll steal all your silicon Chippies	       | Electronic Publishing |
					       |   ____________________|_
						\_/_____________________/
------------------------------

There are also enhanced ega cards with higher resolutions, i.e. 720x350,
640x400, etc.

There are also enhanced vga cards that can do 800x600 or even 1024x800.

On enhanced cards with higher horizontal resolutions, you can usually
get more columns in text mode, although sometimes a driver is needed
to make it work right.

The best deal seems to be using a multisync monitor and an enhanced
ega or vga card  (depending on how many colors you want - enhanced
ega cards usually have as good a resolution as the vga cards).

The mitsubishi monitor ($350) I have can do 800x600 pixels max, and
many enhanced ega cards can do 800x600.

Trying to use 1024x800 will make the corresponding monitor more
expensive.  Analog vga monitors are expensive, and a multisync
monitor can do much more for about the same price.

These are only my opinions, drawn from my experience with IBM
compatible systems.  We have many systems here including Mono,
CGA, EGA, enhanced EGA, and VGA.  I've also got a frame grabber
card that can display 1024x1024 in 256 colors, but I haven't found
a monitor that can do that without blowing our budget. :->

  Simon Gales@University of Ky
  {rutgers, uunet}!ukma!simon  -  simon@ms.uky.edu  -  simon@UKMA.BITNET
------------------------------

  ...... Usually the non-standard feature is better than the
IBM standard. For example, I use a 'VGA compatible' which sports both VGA
modes and a better 800 X 600 point resolution, but very little software knows
how to draw on this higher resolution.

Brian Willoughby		microsoft!brianw

------------------------------

And what "compatible with VGA and EGA" means depend on whether you're
talking about a monitor or a display card.

From rwmira01@ulkyvx.bitnet Fri Feb 24 20:37:21 1989

Graphics Mode                 CGA  EGA  VGA  MCGA
320 X 200 4 color              X    X    X     X
640 X 200 2 color              X    X    X     X
640 X 200 16 color                  X    X
640 X 350 16 color                  X    X
320 X 200 256 color                      X     X
640 X 480 2 color                        X     X
640 X 480 16 color                       X

That is a brief summary of the different modes.  If you want more technical
insight into the adapters, let me know or read Richard Wilton's Book "Guide to
IBM-PC and PS/2 Video Systems"

Rob Miracle              | Bitnet   : RWMIRA01@ULKYVX    CIS: 74216,3134
Programmer/Analyst-II    | INTERNET : rwmira01%ulkyvx.bitnet@cunyvm.cuny.edu
University of Louisville | UUCP     : ...psuvax1!ulkyvx.bitnet!rwmira01

------------------------------
From: bdmrrr.bdm.com!davis@rutgers.uucp (Arthur Davis x4675)

There is another one called, I believe, PGA (Professional GA).
I believe it is capable of 1024 by 768 but am not sure.  It is
currently IBM PS/2 only I think and not widely supported yet.

------------------------------
From: Yuan 'Hacker' Chang  <yuan@uhccux.uhcc.hawaii.edu>

-I did not know 'compatible' means different for monitors or adaptors.
-Could you give me some information?

	Let's say you have a display adaptor (say, Video 7's VEGA) that
says it's compatible with CGA/EGA/VGA/Hercules, that just means it can do
all those modes.  So rather than buying four different display adaptors to
get the functionality, you just buy one.
	Compatible has a slightly different meaning for monitors.  If a
monitor is advertised to be CGA compatible, that means it can only display
output from a CGA adaptor.  For a multi-sync type monitor, they can sync up
to all types of graphic adaptors, therefore they're normally advertised as
"CGA/EGA/VGA/Hercules" compatible.
	I should say that each display adaptor (CGA/EGA/etc.) has its own
set of frequencies.  Like CGA's horizontal scan freq. is 60Hz, and 15.75kHz
vertical.  EGA is 70Hz horz. and 15.75kHz Vert.

loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu (Mike Loving) (03/07/89)

The PGA (Professional Graphics Adapter/Display) was almost entirely absent
from the rather comprehensive post on displays.  Since I have one of these
things (no, nobody supports it). I thought I would follow up.

PGA:
640x480 graphics resolution with 256 simultaneously displayed colors

80x25 text (i don't know the colors on this)

It is interesting to note that the resolution is exactly the same as IBM's
VGA with a much greater selection of colors.  What is strange is that there
are programs (such as Drafix by Foresight Resources) whose graphics toolkits
support this monitor, but the company did not bother to support it even though
they have laready bought the device independent graphics routines which support
this display.  I realize that there are few of us out here with PGA's and the
PGA was way overpriced, but it is really quite a good display and adapter.

Mike Loving          loving@lanai.cs.ucla.edu
                     . . . {hplabs,ucbvax,uunet}!cs.ucla.edu!loving

DPIROT@UALTAVM.BITNET (Don Pirot) (03/09/89)

In article <4339@psuvax1.cs.psu.edu>, deng@shire.cs.psu.edu writes:
>The model 30 uses a hybrid display mode called MCGA.  It's only available on
>the Model 30 and 25 with 8086 processors.  It's a modified version of CGA and
>hasn't really been supported by developers.                                    t
This sort of bothers me in that I went for the Mod 30 before the 30-286
was announced and now I'm wondering if I'm going to be left out on a limb.
Does anyone out there know if it is possible to upgrade the Mod 30 to
support VGA graphics. As I understand it, my Mod 30 has an analog monitor so
it should be able to display VGA graphics.

Don Pirot,                    | BITNET: DPIROT@UALTAVM
University Computing Systems, | UUCP: alberta!DPIROT@ualtavm.bitnet
University of Alberta,        | ARPA: DPIROT%UALTAVM.BITNET@wiscvm.wisc.edu
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada.    | What luck for rulers that men do not think.