[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Inboard 386 PC

diehr@blake.acs.washington.edu (George Diehr) (03/06/89)

Yesterday I received  a catalogue from J & R, and found that
Inboard 386 PC is selling at $599.  Another 1 M daughter board
will cost $399 according to the ad.  Anyway, I have been
interested in upgrading my old Zenith and hope to get
your opinions regrading my upgrade.  Please help me.
Now the questions are:

(1) Is Inboard 386 PC compatible with my Zenith PC?  I know someone
    posted a toll-free numbef for Intel Inboard support and  wish to
    have that number so that I can call Intel to verify any myths/facts.
    If you tried Inboard on your Zenith PC, please let me know
    your luck or ....

(2) Will my Zenith + Inboard 386 turn into an AT machine?  I am
    wondering whether the additional 1 Meg is used for extended
    or not.  I would like to run a large database and may need
    1 Meg piggy board.  The target software especially requires
    AT compatible with 1 Meg of exTended memory.

I will summarize what I will receive to the net if there are
such demands. Thank you in advance.

16012_3045@uwovax.uwo.ca (Paul Gomme) (03/07/89)

In article <1070@blake.acs.washington.edu>, diehr@blake.acs.washington.edu (George Diehr) writes:
> Yesterday I received  a catalogue from J & R, and found that
> Inboard 386 PC is selling at $599.  Another 1 M daughter board
> will cost $399 according to the ad.  Anyway, I have been
> interested in upgrading my old Zenith and hope to get
> your opinions regrading my upgrade.  Please help me.
> Now the questions are:

I've noticed messages from individuals who either _have_ or are
_thinking_ of upgrading their machines by installing an Inboard 386 or
similar product.  I have questions of my own:  Why do it this way in
the first place?  Why not sell the old machine and buy either a fast
286, or a 386?

Paul Gomme        Bitnet:  gomme@uwovax.bitnet      ARPA:    gomme@uwo.ca
(519) 679-2111 ext. 6418

abcscnge@csuna.csun.edu (Scott "The Pseudo-Hacker" Neugroschl) (03/09/89)

]
]I've noticed messages from individuals who either _have_ or are
]_thinking_ of upgrading their machines by installing an Inboard 386 or
]similar product.  I have questions of my own:  Why do it this way in
]the first place?  Why not sell the old machine and buy either a fast
]286, or a 386?

It$ known a$ a $hortage of ca$h.  The Inboard specified costs a total of $1K
with 2M of memory.  How much does a 2M 386 system cost?  Even a bare bones:
2M memory, HDFD controller, 1.2M drive and nothing else (use the old XT
stuff -- but then it's hard to sell the XT...) co$t?  To many people it may
be cheaper and more cost efficient to hold onto the XT and upgrade it as
far as it will go.

$incerely,