[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DESQview - what EMS4.0 boards work, and other QUESTIONS ?

wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) (02/24/89)

I have EMS4.0 on my mother board, but it is not a complete enough
implementation for DESQview, I also have EMS4.0 for my ram expansion
card but it too is not seen as EMS4.0 by DESQview.

QUESTION:  What cards are known to work with DESQview as EMS4.0.

	The people at the tech support line were of no help, I waited on hold
	for over 2 hours.

	I only know of the Intel Above Board PLUS, note the "PLUS", but
	this board is expensive, and I have 4MB of ram chips.

QUESTION: Have other people had similar problems with the BBS ?
	The previous message mentioned the DESQview BBS.  I have tried
	> 10 times and have only gotten through once.  Most of the time I get no
	answer.

QUESTION: Is there a place where I could down load DESQview program
	description files instead of writing all of them from scratch.
	(NONE of my software is listed in the menues).

Jeff Wolford
att!iwsag!jww
att!ihlpa!wolfordj

harvard-+

ucbvax--+---- att --+ iwsag!jww

decvax--+

troeger@ttidca.TTI.COM (Jeff Troeger) (02/28/89)

In article <11843@ihlpa.ATT.COM> wolfordj@ihlpa.ATT.COM (452is-Wolford) writes:
>I have EMS4.0 on my mother board, but it is not a complete enough
>implementation for DESQview, I also have EMS4.0 for my ram expansion
>card but it too is not seen as EMS4.0 by DESQview.
>
>QUESTION:  What cards are known to work with DESQview as EMS4.0.
>
>	I only know of the Intel Above Board PLUS, note the "PLUS", but

	I don't have my manual with me at the moment, but the two boards
	I do know of that DESQview positively supports are the Intel Above
	Board and the AST RAMpage (includes the RAMpage Plus). Be careful
	with the RAMpage Plus, (at least the 286 version) as it uses SIMMS
	instead of the normal DRAMs and your memory (I'm assuming that you
        are using DRAMs) would not work if you plan to change.

>QUESTION: Is there a place where I could down load DESQview program
>	description files instead of writing all of them from scratch.

I've seen several Forums on Compu$erve that have description files in
their libraries. It takes so little time to create a description file tho,
that you would be better off building them yourself than trying to find
ones that you need.

Mark.Woodruff@f9.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG (Mark Woodruff) (03/03/89)

DESQview only fully supports EEMS boards.  AST is the only major manufacturer
of EEMS boards, although there are cheap clones of their boards now
available.  The Intel Above Board Plus is *not* an EEMS board and cannot
be used in situations where you use modems higher than 1200 bps or
require fast bank-switching times.

My recommendation:  look through Computer Shopper and find someone
selling a cheap clone of an AST board.

mark
(DV2.10 on an AST Premium/286)

lapid@techunix.BITNET (Ofer Lapid) (03/09/89)

In article <1.240DD998@mamab.FIDONET.ORG> Mark.Woodruff@f9.n363.z1.FIDONET.ORG
>DESQview only fully supports EEMS boards.  AST is the only major manufacturer
>of EEMS boards, although there are cheap clones of their boards now
>available.

If you buy an AST card for an XT clone you better double check it before you
part with you're money.
I tried the latest AST card and it doesn't work with some XT clones.
It has a soft configuration store on an EEPROM that hates the rest of the cards
around.
The local AST dealer replaced it 3 times and then stopped selling it altogether.

Just to let you know.
--
Ofer Lapid 4X6OJ                             AX.25: 4X6OJ@4X4HF
P.O.Box 623                                  IP: [44.138.40.04]