[comp.sys.ibm.pc] HP Deskjet Font Downlaods

benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) (03/04/89)

Does the HP Deskjet accept LJ downloadable fonts (assuming that you have
the RAM cartridge, of course) ?

I have heard conflicting answers, and I would like to know this before I buy one.

Dan

benderly@cs.columbia.edu

pyt@hprnd.HP.COM (Pierre-Yves Thoulon) (03/06/89)

> Does the HP Deskjet accept LJ downloadable fonts (assuming that you have
> the RAM cartridge, of course) ?

No, the Deskjet and Laserjet font format are not the same. The Deskjet
uses a form of data compression for its fonts, the laserjet does not.
However, you could always write a conversion program (or find one on
the net...).

Pierre-Yves Thoulon.
disclaimer: I didn't take part in the DJ design, just happen to own one
	(and love it...).

pdg@chinet.chi.il.us (Paul Guthrie) (03/06/89)

In article <128@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>Does the HP Deskjet accept LJ downloadable fonts (assuming that you have
>the RAM cartridge, of course) ?
>I have heard conflicting answers, and I would like to know this before I buy one.

The answer is no, it does not.   (I'm posting instead of mail as this is
a common misconception).  It is still a great printer though.  I think
that you find that the hardest thing to get around with soft fonts is
not the difference in formats, but that the deskjet requires the characters
to be downloaded in ascending order.

--paul

--
Paul Guthrie
chinet!nsacray!paul

jerryd@hpgrla.HP.COM (Jerry Donovan) (03/06/89)

> Does the HP Deskjet accept LJ downloadable fonts (assuming that you have
> the RAM cartridge, of course) ?

No, HP DeskJet fonts are different from HP LaserJet fonts.  There are
conversion programs available to turn LaserJet fonts into DeskJet fonts.  I
believe that some are even shareware, although I'm not sure.

As far as exactly how different they are, I'm not sure.  I have heard that
the HP LaserJet fonts are in a horizontal format, while the HP DeskJet
fonts are in a vertical format which follows the way the dots are placed
on the paper.  Also the DeskJet allows for placing dots at half dot spacings
horizontally, so fonts made for the DeskJet can have smoother edges.  DeskJet
can only put down 300 dots per inch.  Dots can not be placed next to each other
at 600 dpi spacings though.

Jerry Donovan
hplabs!hpfcla!hpgrla!jerryd

Disclaimer: I work for Hewlett-Packard Company, however not for the
divisions that make either product mentioned.  I could be as all
wet as other sources of information.

benoitm@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Benoit Menendez) (03/09/89)

> The answer is no, it does not.   (I'm posting instead of mail as this is
> a common misconception).  It is still a great printer though.  I think
> that you find that the hardest thing to get around with soft fonts is
> not the difference in formats, but that the deskjet requires the characters
> to be downloaded in ascending order.

I don't think that this is much of a problem. The inability to do automatic
kerning by storing negative paddings in the character descriptor is more of a
problem. This makes italic or large soft fonts look bad unless your word
processor can compensate for this restriction.

It is indeed a great printer, the print quality is amazing.

	Benoit.

benoitm@hpmwtd.HP.COM (Benoit Menendez) (03/09/89)

> I don't think that this is much of a problem. The inability to do automatic
> kerning by storing negative paddings in the character descriptor is more of a
> problem. This makes italic or large soft fonts look bad unless your word
> processor can compensate for this restriction.

Let me add that I dont know of any (non-laser) printer providing kerning
information in the soft font data.

I really think that the DeskJet is the best (non-laser) printer.

	Benoit.

carlson@gateway.mitre.org (Bruce Carlson) (03/10/89)

In article <128@cs.columbia.edu> benderly@cs.columbia.edu (Dan Benderly) writes:
>Does the HP Deskjet accept LJ downloadable fonts (assuming that you have
>the RAM cartridge, of course) ?
>
>I have heard conflicting answers, and I would like to know this before I buy one.
>
>Dan
>
>benderly@cs.columbia.edu

The Deskjet definitely does not use LJ downloadable fonts; however, HP sells
similar downloadable fonts (a smaller variety) for the Deskjet.

One other alternative I read about in Desktop Publishing magazine is a
utility to convert Bitstream downloadable fonts for the LJ into a format
compatible with the Deskjet.  The utility was about $60 and apparently
works well.  I don't have the RAM cartridge so I haven't had any
motivation to check into buying HP or Bitstream fonts.

The Desktop Publishing magazine article was one of several in that issue
that were Deskjet related.  The issue was about Aug or Sep 88, but I'll
look for it at home and let you know exactly when it appeared.

Bruce Carlson