[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Tools needed for math test task

camara@spectra.COM (Raland Camara) (03/09/89)

     I presently own an IBM 286 clone.  I am looking for some hardware/
software which I can use to write Mathematics Tests.  I am basically
going to need something which can draw some basic diagrams, draw text in
various fonts, display different size fonts on the same screen, and
lastly allow me to move these things around on the screen.  It would also
be great if it was easy to print these things out on an 8.5" X 11" page.
Lastly, menus or something similarly easy would be the preferable user
interface.  I assume that I am going to need a mouse and some software
package.  Does anyone out there have any reccommendations?

                            Thanks,

                            Raland Camara
                            Spectragraphics Corp.
                            9125 Rehco Road
                            San Diego, CA  92121
                            (619) 450-0611

riehm@maccs.McMaster.CA (Carl Riehm) (03/10/89)

One of the best is T3.  It is wysiwyg, but is pretty expensive (ca. $600).
An excellent cheap package is EXP; considering the cost ($150?) it is one
of the best.  Another relatively inexpensive one is ChiWriter.  For some
thorough reviews, consult the Notices of the Amer.Math Soc, April and May (
I think) 1987.  There are also some reviews in PC Magazine last fall.

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (03/13/89)

My mail got bounced.  Try MathCAD by MathSoft, Cambridge, MA. 1-800-MathSoft.

--
Ed Tankus.
Net  :       {uunet,noao,yale}!hsi!tankus -- OR -- tankus@hsi.com

clhorslin@crocus.waterloo.edu (Cheryl Horslin) (03/13/89)

In article <152@spectra.COM> camara@spectra.COM (Raland Camara) writes:

>     I presently own an IBM 286 clone.  I am looking for some hardware/
>software which I can use to write Mathematics Tests.  I am basically
>going to need something which can draw some basic diagrams, draw text in
>various fonts, display different size fonts on the same screen, and
>lastly allow me to move these things around on the screen.  It would also
>be great if it was easy to print these things out on an 8.5" X 11" page.
>Lastly, menus or something similarly easy would be the preferable user
>interface.  I assume that I am going to need a mouse and some software
>package.  Does anyone out there have any reccommendations?

I would think that one of the less expensive Cadd packages would
handle the problem.  I have experience with Generic Cadd which I
believe can handle everything you ask for.  You would have to
purchase some extra modules for fonts and printing out on a dot
matrix printer.