[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DOS cross development tools

dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) (03/10/89)

Does anyone know of an available cross development package
that will run on a 68000 UNIX machine and produce DOS object
and/or .EXE files (preferably Turbo-C/Turbo-Debug compatible)?

I'm running my application on the PC during most of the day,
so I can't do my development there.  I have a 3b1 and like the
UNIX development environment.  Right now I'm doing some preliminary
development (mostly writing source files) on the 3b1, but then
transfering it to the PC in the evening to finish compilation,
linking, and debug.  It would go a lot faster if I could do
the compile and link on the 3b1, and just do the debugging on
the PC.

Anyone know of such a package?

Thanks.

E-mail replies (...!killer!gtmvax!dave  or  ...!letni!dms3b1!dave).
If there is sufficient interest, I will summarize.

    Dave Hanna

--
Dave Hanna,  Infotouch Systems, Inc. |  "Do or do not -- There is no try"
P.O. Box 584, Bedford, TX 76095      |                        - Yoda

ked@garnet.berkeley.edu (Earl H. Kinmonth) (03/14/89)

In article <175@dms3b1.UUCP> dave@dms3b1.UUCP (Dave Hanna) writes:
>Does anyone know of an available cross development package
>that will run on a 68000 UNIX machine and produce DOS object
>and/or .EXE files (preferably Turbo-C/Turbo-Debug compatible)?

I find this request hard to understand. Being able to produce
.exe files under a 68000 system is of questionable utility.  In
one or two passes, you'll probably find bugs under MSDOS and want to
recompile. For that, you'll run Turbo C under MSDOS to get object files
to link.

What you can do is get the MKS Toolkit. This will give you a
pseudo-Unix environment under Miserable DOS. I shift easily between a
Sun and MSDOS using the MKS Toolkit under MSDOS. Of course, I
regenerate object code when I shift. There are a few header files to
make conditional, but Turbo C 2.0 is much better than 1.0 in this
respect.

If you really want to generate Miserable Dos code under **IX, you can
get SCO Xenix.  The cross compiler will generate .obj and .exe files
while running **IX.   You can then move these to Miserable Dos.  I
stopped doing this when I got Turbo C.  The time to regenerate .obj
and .exe files is not that much more than the time to copy them.