[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Northgate C/T keyboards

sarathy@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Rajiv Sarathy) (03/10/89)

I've been seeing Northgate (of Minnesota, I think) ads consistently in
PC Magazine for the last year and a half.

They advertise an enhanced keyboard, which they claim has a tactile response
approaching that of an IBM.  Can anyone validate this claim?

On the picture, there seemed to be some sort of membrane-switches or some other
dark "patch" just above the top row of keys (the picture wasn't of great
quality).  What is it?

Thanks in advance for any info.

| Disclaimer:  I'm just an undergrad.                                         |
| All views and opinions are therefore my own.                                |
| Rajiv Partha Sarathy                   sarathy@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca         |
|                             {uunet!attcan mnetor att pyramid}!utgpu!sarathy |
|_____________________________________________________________________________|

s131bb@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan) (03/10/89)

In article <1989Mar9.200917.2634@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
>I've been seeing Northgate (of Minnesota, I think) ads consistently in
>PC Magazine for the last year and a half.
>
>They advertise an enhanced keyboard, which they claim has a tactile response
>approaching that of an IBM.  Can anyone validate this claim?

Yes. A freind of mine has one and I've tried it, though not extensivly.

The feed back that is to say the tension on the down stroke seems to be the
same with an almoxt imperceptably lighter atenuation at the point of 'click'.
In short I liked it quite a bit.

>On the picture, there seemed to be some sort of membrane-switches or some other
>dark "patch" just above the top row of keys (the picture wasn't of great

These are not switches but it is a membrane. It can be used to write on
with a grease pen or other such instrument so that one can lable what
the function keys do.

Jonathan White    jwhite@garnet.berkeley.edu

news@oberon.USC.EDU (USENET News) (03/10/89)

In article <1989Mar9.200917.2634@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
>I've been seeing Northgate (of Minnesota, I think) ads consistently in
>PC Magazine for the last year and a half.
>
>They advertise an enhanced keyboard, which they claim has a tactile response
>approaching that of an IBM.  Can anyone validate this claim?
>
>On the picture, there seemed to be some sort of membrane-switches or some other
>dark "patch" just above the top row of keys (the picture wasn't of great
>quality).  What is it?

I considered buying this keyboard too, but decided to buy datadesk keyboard.
I think the dark 'patch' is just there to write things in with pencil- not
a membrane switch or anything.  There's a function switch at left end of
keyboard, which I think the company said people prefer that way, or something.
I don't know if the tactile feeling of this keyboard, but one of the best
ones I know are by keytronics, honeywell, and datadesk.  Keytronics and
honeywell go for something over $200, and datadesk around $150, but I
think it's far more worth it than those taiwanese $50 keyboards.

Jun

bear@bgsuvax.UUCP (Michael D. Bear) (03/10/89)

     I have a C/T 101 keyboard on my AT clone, and I wouldn't recommend anything
else to anyone.  This is simply the best keyboard on the market.  It has a
tactile feedback that is close to IBM's, but not quite.  I have seen other
keyboards that make the same claim, but I'm not willing to risk my money.
In short, I'm a very satisfied user of Northgate keyboards.

--
Michael D. Bear                  bear@andy.bgsu.edu
Computer Technician

byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM (Byron Lunz) (03/12/89)

In article <1989Mar9.200917.2634@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
>I've been seeing Northgate (of Minnesota, I think) ads consistently in
>PC Magazine for the last year and a half.
>
>They advertise an enhanced keyboard, which they claim has a tactile response
>approaching that of an IBM.  Can anyone validate this claim?

I bought a Northgate OmniKey/102 for my new AT-clone, and I'm very pleased.
The tactile feedback is less than original IBM, but I always thought
IBM's original was too noisy anyway.  I like it.  The keyboard is metal and
feels "solid".

>On the picture, there seemed to be some sort of membrane-switches or some
>other dark "patch" just above the top row of keys (the picture wasn't of great
>quality).  What is it?
Just labels.  I guess they represent where the function keys are normally
found on extended keyboards, but they have no function but as a place to
make notes if you're into writing on your keyboard.

I enjoy having the function keys on the left; I tried a Maxiswitch KB
for a few days but was having a tough time getting used to the function
keys on top, especially since I have a Leading Edge 84-key model at
work.

One other thing that impressed me: the chairman of Northgate is an active
subscriber on Compuserve.  You can send any questions and/or complaints
directly to him there and expect a rapid response.  I shared my comments
about the keyboard on CIS and got a personal note thanking me!

Good luck!

Byron Lunz
byronl@copper.MDP.TEK.COM

george@rebel.UUCP (George M. Sipe) (03/13/89)

In article <21409@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> s131bb@gandalf.Berkeley.EDU (Jonathan) writes:
}In article <1989Mar9.200917.2634@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu} sarathy@gpu.utcs.UUCP (Rajiv Sarathy) writes:
}}I've been seeing Northgate (of Minnesota, I think) ads consistently in
}}PC Magazine for the last year and a half.
}}
}
}The feed back that is to say the tension on the down stroke seems to be the
}same with an almoxt imperceptably lighter atenuation at the point of 'click'.
}In short I liked it quite a bit.

Just another opinion...  I also like it except for one thing:  the
keystrokes are too short.  In otherwords, the keys do not have the
same travel as other keyboards I've used.  I'd advise you to find
someone who has one and try it before buying it.  In fact, thats
probably a good idea for any keyboard.  Keyboards preferences in
general are very personal things.

Star-Raider@cup.portal.com (Jack Wahoo Pettrey) (03/13/89)

Regarding the question concerning tactile response on Northgate keyboards:

I have an IBM PS/2 in the office and a Northgate at home so can offer some
direct experience on the differences.  The Northgate definitely has a tactile
response much better than other clones I've used.  There is a definite click,
and resistance to a keypush to let you know you've successfully entered the
keystroke.  The resistance, however, is definitely less than IBM's.  If you
have strong fingers and like "crunching", you may prefer the IBM.  On the
other hand, Northgate's keyboard offers a lighter touch with the same
advantage of tactile feedback.  Bottom line?  I prefer Northgate's.

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/14/89)

I've had a Northgate 102 keyboard for some months now.
The first order fell thru the cracks, but it was shipped
reasonably fast after the second call.

To me, nothing feels as "right" as the feel of a good
Selectric typewriter as I remember it.  Next is a good
IBM keyboard, and the Northgate 102 is close behind.
It's better than most.  Your mileage will vary.  I had
to get used to the "n" key on less(1) and rn(1), but
otherwise no problems.

Compared to the "classic AT" keyboard, the lack of a separate
SysRq key makes life a bit more interesting with VP/ix.  On
the other hand,  function keys across the top on the new IBM keyboards
is the pits, not to mention the Ctrl key.  I do wish the tilde/squiggle
key were someplace logical instead of next to the spacebar.  And I'm
not too happy with backslash/pipe bering just to the right of the
right shift key.

My preference would be for the IBM PC layout with an extra 8 function
keys somewhere (so one can do vt220).  Foo on the serparate numeric
keypad and cursor cluster.  Use the space for a real pointing device,
an isotonic joystick or perhaps a fake trackball or simulated mouse.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF