[comp.sys.ibm.pc] X windows on VGA 800x600 mode

brian (03/14/89)

We are interested in running X windows under Unix on 386 machines.
We plan on getting some VGA card that does 800x600 mode with some
monitor, vendors uncertain.

Is a multi-sync type monitor necessary for 800x600 mode?
Is there a standard for 800x600 mode, or is it vendor specific?

Has anyone out there done X at all?  Under Unix?
Does X11.3 contain a driver for the 800x600 mode?
Anyone know of such a driver?

--
B<   Brian Kahn   unix.sri.com!orawest!brian   odyssey@unix.sri.com

chasm@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Charles Marslett) (03/14/89)

In article <479@orawest.UUCP>,  writes:

> We are interested in running X windows under Unix on 386 machines.
> We plan on getting some VGA card that does 800x600 mode with some
> monitor, vendors uncertain.

Currently at least one of the Unix 5.3 vendors is shipping X11.3 support
(Interactive) -- or at least they will be when they get over their current
shipping hold (I understand it relates to not being able to install on some
EDSI hard disks!  Small problem, unless you got one of them ;^).

It is a 16-color driver, with several variants (including 800x560 for use
with monitors/cards that cannot maintain a good vertical refresh rate
at 800x600 -- that is, they flicker if run at 800x600).

I am starting work on an 800x600 256-color driver for our VGA card, but
don't expect it done before perhaps mid-summer.

> Is a multi-sync type monitor necessary for 800x600 mode?
> Is there a standard for 800x600 mode, or is it vendor specific?

The multifrequency monitor is definitely needed for 800x600 or 800x560,
and currently there is no standard 800x600 mode, but VESA (an organization
trying to set up non-IBM standard modes such as 800x600) is progressing
satisfactorily (in spite of an apparent boycott by Sony) toward setting
a more-or-less acceptable specification for the 800x600 16-color mode.

We are also working on the much more difficult 800x600 and 640x480 256-color
standards (here the software is also a problem).

> --
> B<   Brian Kahn   unix.sri.com!orawest!brian   odyssey@unix.sri.com

Charles Marslett
STB Systems, Inc.  <== Apply all standard disclaimers
Wordmark Systems   <== No disclaimers required -- that's just me
chasm@killer.dallas.tx.us