[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Which to use MS C 5.1 or Turbo C

rcc@dri2.UUCP (Ron Colcernian) (03/14/89)

Where might I find a comprehensive comparison between MS C 5.1
and Turbo C 2.0?

I am beginning a large development effort on a PC and
would like some information comparing the features and differences
between these products.

Many questions like a unix make facility, overlay facility for large
programs, development environment capabilities for example editing
compiling and testing and etc?

You response is greatly appreciated.

Ron Colcernian			Dynamic Results, Inc. Birmingham, MI
Voice: (313) 642-1890 		Uucp:<backbone>!umix!rel!mibte!dri2!rcc

markc@wpi.wpi.edu (Mark B. Cohen) (03/15/89)

In article <271@dri2.UUCP> rcc@dri2.UUCP (Ron Colcernian) writes:
>Where might I find a comprehensive comparison between MS C 5.1
>and Turbo C 2.0?
>
>I am beginning a large development effort on a PC and
>would like some information comparing the features and differences
>between these products.
>
>Many questions like a unix make facility, overlay facility for large
>programs, development environment capabilities for example editing
>compiling and testing and etc?

The February 1989 issue of _Computer Language_ has an extremely
complete review of 11 DOS based C compilers.
They include discussion not only on the compiler, but on all
integrated tools, such as 'make' facilities, linkers, librarians,
editors, debuggers, and miscellaneous utilities.

The compilers reviewed are the following:

    (Vendor)	(Product)			(Version)
    Manx	Aztec C				4.1 C
    Computer
    Innovations	C86PLUS				1.20 D
    C Ware	DeSmet DC88			3.1
    Ecosoft	Eco-C88				4.15
    MetaWare	High C				1.4
    Lattice 	Lattice C			3.31
    Microsoft	Microsoft C with Quick C	5.1
    Mix		Power C				1.2
    Borland	Turbo C Professional		 -
    WATCOM	WATCOM C with C Express C	6.5
    Zortech	Zortech C			1.06

Hope this helps,
Mark
--
Internet:  markc@wpi.wpi.edu                         "This is drugs...
UUCP:      {backbone}!husc6!m2c!wpi!markc             this is your brain...