[comp.sys.ibm.pc] buffers vs cache

battle@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Rick) (03/14/89)

PC question for the net concerning disk buffers and disk
cache programs.

1. Disk buffers in DOS allow temporary storage of disk data
during disk activity.

2. Disk cache programs, such as MACE VCache, monitor all
hard disk activity and automatically caches (retains a copy
in cache memory) of all data transfered to or from the disk.

The question is;

Since DOS defaults 2 buffers for the PC and XT and 3 for the
AT (and obviously you can set more) is there a need for a
cache program?  Don't they do just about the same thing?
And if you use both is that a poor use of ram?

Thanks in advance.

Rick

mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) (03/15/89)

Here's a question to add to the list:
	How can you (preferably quantitatively) check to see how much
your cache or buffers are doing for you?  What are the standard bench-
marks?

toma@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Tom Almy) (03/16/89)

In article <7083@phoenix.Princeton.EDU> mrwittma@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Martin R. Wittmann) writes:
>Here's a question to add to the list:
>	How can you (preferably quantitatively) check to see how much
>your cache or buffers are doing for you?  What are the standard bench-
>marks?

There is no benchmark like running the programs you normally use.  In my case
the time consumer is compilation, so I time a massive "make".  But if you
spend time within a database, benchmark that instead!

Tom Almy
toma@tekgvs.labs.tek.com
Standard Disclaimers Apply