[comp.sys.ibm.pc] how do I get started...

joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) (03/14/89)

I have been recently reading this group and usenet
as a whole and have questions. I suspect there
are others with the same questions as well.

I have access to UNIX at work and a PC (running DOS 3.1)
at home. Kermit connects me between the two via a
2400 baud modem. I have PKARC for the .arc files

I have seen mention of files to download via Anonymous FTP,
and/or from SIMTEL(?). Can anyone point me to where this is
detailed, i.e. how it works? I suspect there is lotsa
good PD software that might just be of use to me but
I don't see how one extracts it ultimately to my PC.

Many thanks....
Joe

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (03/17/89)

In article <242@ringwood.Morgan.COM>, joec@Morgan.COM (Joe Collins) writes:

> I have seen mention of files to download via Anonymous FTP,
> and/or from SIMTEL(?). Can anyone point me to where this is
> detailed, i.e. how it works? I suspect there is lotsa
> good PD software that might just be of use to me but
> I don't see how one extracts it ultimately to my PC.

Also, Please, where to get PKARC.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi

I believe in absolute freedom of the press.
I believe that freedom of the press is the only protection we have
	from the abuses of power of the church,
	from the abuses of power of the state,
	from the abuses of power of the corporate body, and
	from the abuses of power of the press itself.
Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.