[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Extended memory and MS Windows

sybert@felix.UUCP (Mark Sybert) (03/15/89)

MS Windows (Windows/286 anyway) can make use of expanded, but not
extended memory.  My situation is that I'm on a 386 machine with
4 megs of extended, but no expanded, memory, so the windows applications
that I write are forced to fit into 640k.  That was fine for a while
but now things are getting cramped.

Does Windows/386 support extended memory?  Also, is there an expanded
memory manager available that can use existing extended memory rather
than an expanded memory board?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

dennis@se-sd.sandiego.ncr.com (Dennis Foster) (03/17/89)

In article <87398@felix.UUCP> sybert@felix.UUCP (Mark Sybert) writes:

> ... stuff about Windows/286 on a 386 machine deleted ...
>
>                                     Also, is there an expanded
>memory manager available that can use existing extended memory rather
>than an expanded memory board?  Any other suggestions?

I use a product called 386-to-the-MAX from a company called Qualitas to do
exactly what you are looking for.  386^max provides LIM 4.0 expanded memory
in extended memory on 386 based machines.  It can also load some of your
TSR software into high memory thereby freeing up the much valued 0-640K
address space.  A related product they sell is 386LOAD.  This makes it
even easier to load certain software (including device drivers) into
high memory.

By high memory, I am refer to unused memory between 640K and 1M.

The address is:

     Qualitas, Inc.
     8314 Thoreua Dr.
     Bethesda, MD  20817-3164

I have no connections with Qualitas other than being a satisfied user of
their products.

sybert@felix.UUCP (Mark Sybert) (03/18/89)

Thanks to everyone who replied to my posting.  To summarize, when trying
to use extended memory with Windows, the best idea is to use Windows/386.
Otherwise, at lease two expanded memory managers (QEMM from Quarterdeck
and 386MAX from Qualitas) will allow existing extended memory to be treated
as expanded.