[comp.sys.ibm.pc] DRAM & 1.44MB drive questions; comments on Gateway 2000

kkerce@x102c.harris-atd.com (Kerce KF 70458) (03/16/89)

I'm working with a 20 Mhz 80386-based PC from Gateway 2000--more on
them later--with 4 MB RAM.  The RAM is provided in 32 chips--1M X 1
DRAMS is what I believe they're referred to as.

The part number on the chip reads 511000 something or other, and
looking in a memory components advertisement I found a part listed as
"511000P-10 1,048,576 X 1  (100ns) 1Meg".

What concerns me is that Gateway 2000 advertised (and the salesman
confirmed it at purchase time) the system I bought as having 65 ns,
not 100 ns, RAM.

The assembly receipt I received with the computer has 100 ns circled
in the RAM section of the receipt--however, it also says that only 1
MB was installed when I know for sure that the box has 4 MB in it.

After repeated attempts to get the tech. support people to call me
back, I'm interested in finding out the truth on the matter.

On another note, does a 3.5" 1.44 MB disk drive need a high-density
diskette to format 1.44 MB correctly?  Can a double-sided double
density 3.5" diskette be formatted to 1.44 MB?

Comments on Gateway 2000: The only positive note on Gateway 2000 is
that I've had no problems whatsoever with the hardware.  It seems that
other netters have had hard drive crashes and monitor trouble, though.
Tech. support doesn't exist as far as I'm concerned because they never
can come to the phone or call me back.  Finally, did they sell me what
they advertised?  Does any company?

I'd appreciate any comments via e-mail..Thanks in advance!
--
|=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=|
Kingsley Kerce    |   kkerce@cobra@harris-atd.com     | Harris Corp. GISD
                  |   uunet!x102a!x102c!kkerce        | PO Box 98000 MS W3/7733
(407)984-5927     |                                   | Melbourne, FL 32902

In article <KKERCE.89Mar15201144@x102c.harris-atd.com> kkerce@x102c.harris-atd.com (Kerce KF 70458) writes:
>I'm working with a 20 Mhz 80386-based PC from Gateway 2000--more on
>
>On another note, does a 3.5" 1.44 MB disk drive need a high-density
>diskette to format 1.44 MB correctly?  Can a double-sided double
>density 3.5" diskette be formatted to 1.44 MB?

I tried to Email this but couldn't get it to you.

Yes and No.  You need a high density disk to format to 1.44 MB.  If you
have a double density disk you can format it to 720 K by using the
following:  (if in drive b:)  "format b:/f:720"

If you try to format a 720 K disk in a 1.44 MB drive without this
extension it will not work.

Note:  However, a double density disk can be converted to a high density
disk (even the cheap 89 cent signle sided ones) by drilling a hole in
the case.  If you look through your gateway manual (on your gateway
setup disk) it describes how to do this.

Take two disks and place them back to back (hub to hub) and mark the
disk through the write protect hole.  Then drill a hole through the disk
at this location.  Gateway claims to have tested this and had only a
1%-2% failure rate.

I have seen in various computer magazines a tool that does this
converting easily for about $20.00.  This could be valuable since the
high density disks run about $8.00.

I haven't tried this yet.  I don't really like the idea of drilling
holes in my disks.  I am thinking about buying this tool.  If anyone has
tried this please let me know your results.

For my money the high density 1.2 MB 5.25" disks seem the best value.
They hold almost as much as the 1.44 MB disks and only cost 50 cents
each.

Hope this helps.

Greg Cook

jwi@lzfme.att.com (Jim Winer @ AT&T, Middletown, NJ) (03/17/89)

In article <KKERCE.89Mar15201144@x102c.harris-atd.com>, kkerce@x102c.harris-atd.com (Kerce KF 70458) writes:

> On another note, does a 3.5" 1.44 MB disk drive need a high-density
> diskette to format 1.44 MB correctly?  Can a double-sided double
> density 3.5" diskette be formatted to 1.44 MB?

Some do, some don't. If your particular drive reads the second hole
(opposite the file protect hole) on the diskette, it will only
format 1.44 as 1.44 and will refuse 720K except as 720K. If yours
doesn't read the second hole, it may format a 720K as 1.44M

> ...Finally, did they sell me what
> they advertised?  Does any company?

Some do, some don't. DELL (formerly PC Limited) is among the best in
every respect. (No affiliation, satisfied 220 - 20MH 286 user.) If
you are using your PC for an at home _business_ where it must be up
and running, buy a business machine like DELL that comes with
on-site service.

Jim Winer ..!lzfme!jwi

I believe in absolute freedom of the press.
I believe that freedom of the press is the only protection we have
	from the abuses of power of the church,
	from the abuses of power of the state,
	from the abuses of power of the corporate body, and
	from the abuses of power of the press itself.
Those persons who advocate censorship offend my religion.

lever@linus.UUCP (lever) (03/21/89)

(Kerce KF 70458) writes:

>What concerns me is that Gateway 2000 advertised (and the salesman
>confirmed it at purchase time) the system I bought as having 65 ns,
>not 100 ns, RAM.

I beleive that the 1MByte configuration comes with "0 wait state" 60
ns RAM as advertised.  The 4 MByte configuration does not mention the
memory speed (if I remember correctly).

Mark
(lever@linus.uucp)