[comp.sys.ibm.pc] MKS Toolkit

davidsen@chinet.UUCP (02/11/87)

I recently had about four hours to use the MKS Toolkit from
Mortis Kern Systems. This is Korn shell for DOS, with a large
number of utilities, such as vi, ls, df, du, od, etc. Being an
emacs user, I'm not real thrilled with vi, but it seems to be a
complete implementation (I am *not* a vi heavy) as far as I have
used it. The program which makes my day is cpio, which allows me
to move files to/from UNIX with minimum hassle and preservation of
mod dates for make use.

This is a solid product, and the UNIX SIG in upstate NY is going
to do a bulk purchase to get a discount.

Disclamer: just a user.

gnome@oliveb.UUCP (02/12/87)

in article <1086@chinet.UUCP>, davidsen@chinet.UUCP (Bill Davidsen) says:

> This is a solid product, and the UNIX SIG in upstate NY is going
> to do a bulk purchase to get a discount.

Not only that, but they are on the NET as well!
They are at ...watmath!mks!toolkit

You can even order it via EMAIL, if you dare!

I have a copy of it and I like it a lot.  The idea of having
the same editor on the PC and UNIX machines makes my life a
lot easier (being efficient while switching between editors
is an impossibility with me).

Gary

tj@mks.UUCP (08/24/87)

In article <1155@mind.UUCP>, romero@mind.UUCP (Antonio Romero) writes:

> Where I work for money nowadays we're having our share of problems
> with a couple of the utilities.  Most of them (especially the VI)
> are really nice-- gotta love being able to "suspend a VI session"
> in DOS-- but ls, of all things, doesn't seem to work if you're
> running Novell network software and you try to ls a network drive.
> Kind of a pity.
> Also, the Kornshell they provide doesn't work with Novell network.

This would appear to be because Novell does not implement a complete
emulation of the DOS calls that it intercepts. We are actively working
on achieving the operations we need within the functionality provided
by Novell.

> Plus it seems to go insane if you type ^P in "vi" command-line-editing
> mode.   These two bugs make it almost unusable.
> A real shame-- we almost had the best answer to the problem of
> the feebleness of COMMAND.COM.

Actually this only happens when you are NOT in any command line editing mode.
This effect is a "feature" of DOS. ^P is treated the same as ``Ctrl-Prt Sc''
(copy all screen echo and output to the printer). If you don't have a printer
attached, the only recourse is to reboot. Observe that the same thing
happens in command.com.

I agree that you are unlikely to discover this feature until you start
using the shell in emacs mode, get used to typing ^P to recall previous
commands, then type it when not in emacs mode.

The cure is to put a "set -o [vi|emacs]" in your environment file
(named in exported variable ENV), or export "EDITOR=[vi|emacs]",
so you never forget to be in your favorite editing mode.

This solves the problem because the shell reads chars by direct keyboard input
in editing modes, but reads lines by buffered keyboard input otherwise.
This strategy is used so that your familiar DOS editing works by default
(ESC for line kill, arrow keys for editing, F3 for last command recall,
and of course ^P for hardcopy).
--
     ll  // // ,'/~~\'   T. J. Thompson {decvax,ihnp4,seismo}!watmath!mks!tj
    /ll/// //l' `\\\     Mortice Kern Systems Inc.         (519) 884-2251

bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) (08/25/87)

I watched, with interest, the flaming contest that went on between MKS
and users a few months ago.  I just concluded a similar session with
them via email and the net should know what can make it malfunction.  I
experienced everything from scribbled files to "reset required" hang ups
when running the Toolkit and I got *really* upset when MKS didn't reply
to my inquiries as fast as I thought they should (that grumble remains).

If you plan to use the Toolkit under DOS 2.x, do so at your own risk.
MKS says it works, other users say it works, but I can tell you how/why
it won't work.  The Korn shell requires a fair amount of space in the
ENVIRONMENT and DOS 2.x is very skimpy, 256 bytes I think.  If you do not
use SET's, other than the Toolkit or very short ones it will probably
work just fine.  If you do use SET's or very long ones, you are at risk
of overflowing the ENVIRONMENT space and if you are unsuspecting, you will
assume that MKS broke your computer (I did).

DOS 3.x is more forgiving than 2.x and even gives you some ways to stretch
the space beyond the default.  As a minimum, use 3.x and if you need to,
expand the ENVIRONMENT space beyond the default and you should have no
trouble with the Toolkit.  If you do have problems, use the telephone, they
aren't very prompt about answering email and there are some things that are
more easily explained verbally.  Besides, it's not fair to use other people's
phone bills for email traffic that is more appropriately done orally on your
own phone bill.  Finally, if you are running DOS 2.x, spend the money for 3.x
before getting the Toolkit, you'll spend many more dollars in grief and
stomach acid if you do.  In my case some things I wanted to do were just not
possible and none of it was MKS' fault.
--
Bill Kennedy  {cbosgd | ihnp4!petro | sun!texsun!rrm}!ssbn!bill

feg@clyde.UUCP (08/26/87)

In article <348@ssbn.UUCP>, bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:
> I watched, with interest, the flaming contest that went on between MKS
> and users a few months ago.  I just concluded a similar session with
         [deleted]
> If you plan to use the Toolkit under DOS 2.x, do so at your own risk.
> MKS says it works, other users say it works, but I can tell you how/why
> it won't work.  The Korn shell requires a fair amount of space in the
> ENVIRONMENT and DOS 2.x is very skimpy, 256 bytes I think.  If you do not

  The default space is 160 bytes for 2.x & 3.1
  The environment space for 2.x can be increased via a patch as discussed
  in PC Tech Journal Nov.'86 p.49 .  If you don't have the issue email me
  for the instructions.  V 3.1 and on use SHELL in config.sys to increase
  environment space.  If MKS Toolkit doesn't work, in Dos 2.1, it isn't
  because of lack of environment space as a little work with DEBUG can
  fix that problem.

Forrest Gehrke

martyl@rocksvax.UUCP (Marty Leisner) (08/27/87)

In article <348@ssbn.UUCP> bill@ssbn.UUCP (Bill Kennedy) writes:

>If you plan to use the Toolkit under DOS 2.x, do so at your own risk.
>MKS says it works, other users say it works, but I can tell you how/why
>it won't work.  The Korn shell requires a fair amount of space in the
>ENVIRONMENT and DOS 2.x is very skimpy, 256 bytes I think.  If you do not
>use SET's, other than the Toolkit or very short ones it will probably
>work just fine.  If you do use SET's or very long ones, you are at risk
>of overflowing the ENVIRONMENT space and if you are unsuspecting, you will
>assume that MKS broke your computer (I did).

I'm not sure I totally agree with the above, although I've never used dos 2.x.

Command.com allocates some small amount of space for the environment.

Once you run another shell, that shell can allocate environment space out of
its user space.  When execing a child process, if you tell it the environment
is not the default, will DOS set up environments of > 256 bytes?

marty

avram@mtuxo.UUCP (XMRH2-A.AUMICK) (02/19/88)

Has anyone installed MKS Toolkit at the config.sys level?
 I placed in my config.sys file:
			shell=c:/etc/init c:/bin/login
			files=24
			buffers=50

When I checked to see how much memory was availabel I had only 317k left.
The rest was used by the shell and the TSR programs I use.  Under Dos using
the same TSR programs I have appr. 500k of memory available.  Is this
normal?

Avram Aumick

mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) (01/12/89)

A co-worker asked me about a piece of software called MKS Toolkit for
the PC.  I havent heard much about it and couldnt find a write-up on it.
Could someone please give me a short description of what it does and
what situations it would be useful for.

Thanks for the help in advance,

--
Mike McCann                        Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu
Poole Computer Center (Box P-18)       UUCP = gatech!hubcap!mmccann

damien@hprmokg.HP.COM (Steve Aldrich) (01/14/89)

> / mmccann@hubcap.UUCP (Mike McCann) / 10:21 am  Jan 11, 1989 /
> A co-worker asked me about a piece of software called MKS Toolkit for
> the PC.  I havent heard much about it and couldnt find a write-up on it.
> Could someone please give me a short description of what it does and
> what situations it would be useful for.
>
> Thanks for the help in advance,
>
> --
> Mike McCann                        Internet = mmccann@hubcap.clemson.edu

Mike,

	I have the MKS Toolkit and I am very happy with it.  It is available
from:

Mortice Kern Systems, Inc
35 King Street North
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada  N2J 2W9
(519) 884-2251
UUCP: ...!uunet!watmath!mks!inquiry

	Basically it is a toolkit of unix utilities (grep, vi, awk, ls,
etc...) that work on DOS machines.  They are very nice if you spend a lot
of time each day on both DOS and unix machines.  I got it from a mail order
company called Software Central on a company discount since I use it at
work.  I found it very much worth the price.

Steve Aldrich

mbrands@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Manfred Brands) (03/03/89)

In article <7374@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul)
writes:
> [ .... ]
>>cpio

>Very good! It has a (non-standard) option to compress each file before
>adding it to the archive; unfortunately limited by the fact that MKS'
>compress does not support 16-bit compression. Another limitation is
>that of course, such compressed cpio archives are not directly
>unpackable under UNIX -- you have to unpack them, and then manually
>run each extracted file through uncompress. Maybe this feature could
>be added to afio or pax, or maybe MSK could release the source for
>their cpio to the net? But I'd understand if they didn't :-).

cpio doesn't compress each file, but only the resulting cpio archive. So
you can type:
	uncompress "packed-archive" > "unpacked archive"
which then can be handled by your UNIX cpio. You'll proberly have to use the
-c option to cpio to create ASCII headers.

> [ ... ]

>>uname

>Uses the volume label of the boot disk as the node name; the other options
>return the DOS version/release and the CPU type

The node name used depends on whether you have your machine running in a
network or not. In the first case uname returns the network name of your
machine, if you have set it.

>>compress
>>uncompress
>>zcat

>Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
>UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

zcat has nothing to do with LZ compression. It belongs to the pack/unpack
family which does Huffman coding. zcat can read a packed file and unpacks it
to standard output.

compress and uncompress, can handle up to 14-bit compression.

>>vi

>By itself, worth the price of the Toolkit.

>I have no connection to MKS either, except as a satisfied customer.

Me too.

>Wolf

Manfred Brands.

wnp@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Wolf Paul) (03/04/89)

In article <316@ssp2.idca.tds.philips.nl> mbrands@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Manfred Brands) writes:
:In article <7374@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wnp@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Wolf Paul)
:writes:
:> [ .... ]
:>>cpio
:>>compress
:>>uncompress
:>>zcat
:
:>Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
:>UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)
:
:zcat has nothing to do with LZ compression. It belongs to the pack/unpack
:family which does Huffman coding. zcat can read a packed file and unpacks it
:to standard output.
:
:compress and uncompress, can handle up to 14-bit compression.

It does too, only MKS does not even include it. What you are describing is
called "pcat"; "zcat" is the analogous variant for uncompress. In fact,
MKS' uncompress acts more like UNIX zcat than UNIX uncompress, in that it
does not do in-place uncompression.

And yes -- MKS [un]compress does handle 14 bits not 12 as I had said --
correction accepted.
UUCP:   killer!wnp                    ESL: 62832882
DOMAIN: wnp@killer.dallas.tx.us       TLX: 910-380-0585 EES PLANO UD

igp@camcon.co.uk (Ian Phillipps) (03/10/89)

mbrands@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Manfred Brands) writes:

>>>compress
>>>uncompress
>>>zcat

>>Unfortunately these handle only 12-bit compression and can't handle
>>UNIX-compressed files (usually 16-bit)

>zcat has nothing to do with LZ compression. It belongs to the pack/unpack
>family which does Huffman coding. zcat can read a packed file and unpacks it
>to standard output.

>compress and uncompress, can handle up to 14-bit compression.

Not so: this is from Sun Release 4.0:

COMPRESS(1)              USER COMMANDS                COMPRESS(1)

NAME
     compress, uncompress,  zcat  -  compress  or  expand  files,
	  display expanded contents

     zcat produces uncompressed output on  the  standard  output,
	  but leaves the compressed .Z file intact.

I.e. zcat most certainly DOES do LZ decoding (at least on Suns).
--
UUCP:  igp@camcon.co.uk   | Cambridge Consultants Ltd  |  Ian Phillipps
or:    igp@camcon.uucp    | Science Park, Milton Road  |-----------------

pete@tsc.dec.com (Peter Schmitt) (03/22/89)

What is the current price from Mortis Kern on their Toolkit and do
they offer an educational discount?

--
Pete Schmitt                                    pete%tsc.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
	There are two fundamental facts of human enlightenment:
			#1, There is a God.
			#2, You are not Him!