[net.general] internet mailing summary

spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (11/25/85)

Here's my promised posting of internetwork mailing..  There was a
HUGE amount of mail in response to the original posting.. ppl are
really interested in this...  It took me 3 days to sort out all
the mail... 8-)
Here is a summary of the current information at NETSERV about some
of the networks that are connected to the ARPA Internet (CSNET X25Net,
Arpanet, Mailnet, etc.) and to CSNET PhoneNet.

Please note that the use of the ARPA Internet is restricted to authorized
individuals and is regulated by the Defense Communications Agency.

Internet ==> Internet  user@host.ARPA

Internet ==> PhoneNet  user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA
PhoneNet ==> Internet  user@host
                         Note: CSNET-RELAY rewrites the address and
                         appends ".ARPA" to the host name.

Internet ==> BITNET    user%host.BITNET@wiscvm.ARPA
BITNET   ==> Internet  BSMTP with "user@host.ARPA"
                         NOTE: SEE GATEWAY BSMTP FOR DETAILS OF BSMTP.

Internet ==> DEC ENET  user%host.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
DEC ENET ==> Internet  RHEA::DECWRL::"user@host.ARPA"

Internet ==> JANET     user%host.JANET@ucl-cs.ARPA
JANET    ==> Internet  user%host.ARPA@ucl-cs

Internet ==> MAILNET   user%host.MAILNET@mit-multics.ARPA
MAILNET  ==> Internet  user%host.ARPA@mit-multics

Internet ==> UUCP      user%host.UUCP@seismo.ARPA  or
                       user%host.UUCP@harvard.ARPA
                         Note: The seismo and harvard hosts use the
                         "pathalias" software to find the correct UUCP
                         routing address.
UUCP     ==> Internet  hosta!...!hostz!seismo!user@host.ARPA  or
                       hosta!...!hostz!harvard!user@host.ARPA
                         Note: "hosta" is the sender's nearest neighbor.
                         The sender must specify a UUCP routing path to
                         "hostz", a host with a direct connection to some
                         UUCP->Internet gateway, such as "seismo" or
                         "harvard".

Internet ==> XEROX     user.registry@XEROX.ARPA
                         Note: Do NOT use "%" between "user" and "registry".
                         Some Xerox registries are "pa" and "wbst".
XEROX    ==> Internet  user@host.ARPA

PhoneNet ==> PhoneNet  user@host
                         Note: CSNET-RELAY rewrites the address and
                         appends ".CSNET" to the host name.

PhoneNet ==> Internet  user@host
                         Note: CSNET-RELAY rewrites the address and
                         appends ".ARPA" to the host name.
Internet ==> PhoneNet  user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA

PhoneNet ==> BITNET    user%host.BITNET@csnet-relay
                         Note: Some PhoneNet hosts have software that
                         allows "user@host.BITNET".  Ask your CSNET liaison.
BITNET   ==> PhoneNet  BSMTP with "user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA"
                         Note: See Info Message sites-8 for details of BSMTP.

PhoneNet ==> DEC ENET  user%host.DEC@decwrl
DEC ENET ==> PhoneNet  RHEA::DECWRL::"user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA"

Phonenet ==> JANET     user%host.JANET@ucl-cs
JANET    ==> Phonenet  user%host%csnet-relay.ARPA@ucl-cs

PhoneNet ==> MAILNET   user%host.MAILNET@csnet-relay
                         Note: Some PhoneNet hosts have software that
                         allows "user@host.MAILNET". Ask your CSNET liaison.
MAILNET  ==> PhoneNet  user%host%csnet-relay.ARPA@mit-multics

PhoneNet ==> UUCP      user%host.UUCP@seismo  or
                       user%host.UUCP@harvard
UUCP     ==> PhoneNet  hosta!...!hostz!seismo!user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA  or
                       hosta!...!hostz!harvard!user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA

PhoneNet ==> XEROX     user.registry@XEROX
                         Note: Do NOT use "%" between "user" and "registry".
                         Some Xerox registries are "pa" and "wbst".
XEROX    ==> PhoneNet  user%host@csnet-relay.ARPA

[All messages from PhoneNet sites are relayed through CSNET-RELAY.ARPA.
Thanks to Richard M. Alderson, III <Alderson@SU-Score> for corrections
to MAILNET information in the original CSNET-FORUM article. --CDM]

Arpanet  ==> BITNET       user%node.BITNET@gateway
                              gateway = UCBVAX.ARPA or WISCVM.ARPA

Arpanet  ==> CSNet        user%node.CSNET@csnet-relay.ARPA

Arpanet  ==> Usenet       ...!user@gateway
Usenet   ==> Arpanet      ...!gateway!user@arpanode
                              gateway = seismo or ucbvax

Usenet   ==> BITNET       ...!psuvax1!user%bitnode.BITNET
                          ...!psuvax1!user@bitnode.BITNET
                          ...!gateway!bitnode.BITNET!user
                              gateway = psuvax1 or talcott

BITNET   ==> Usenet       MAILER@PSUVAX1 using BSMTP

Lots of ppl inquired about this one...

To send from BITNET to Usenet, construct a file as follows...

vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv Start of file
HELO yournode.BITNET
VERB ON
TICK 0001
MAIL FROM:<youruid@yournode.BITNET>
RCPT TO:<user@node.UUCP>
DATA
Date: Current date goes here
From: youruid@yournode.BITNET
To: user@node.UUCP
Subject: gateway

< Put the text of your message here.  The blank line between the sebject and
< the beginning of you text is necessary.  End you text with a '.' on a line
< by itself, and end the mailing with 'QUIT' on a line, as shown below.

.
QUIT
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ End of file

Send the file to mailer @ psuvax1 as a punch file, class = M, i.e. mail class.
example: on VMS running JNET:
      SEND/FILE/PUNCH/CLASS=M filename.ext MAILER@PSUVAX1

Thanx to everybody who sent info, especially to the person who sent me all
the info on Internet and Phonenet.  I lost your id.  Can you also send me
the GATEWAY BSMTP file?  RIT students have restricted access to BITNET, and
I can't get it myself..

        Steve Wall [Snoopy] @ Rochester Institute of Technology
        USnail: 6675 Crosby Rd, Lockport, NY 14094, USA
        Usenet: ...!ritcv!spw2562                       Unix 4.2 BSD
        BITNET: SPW2562@RITVAXC                         VAX/VMS 4.2
        Voice:  Yell "Hey Steve!"

    Disclaimer:  What I have just said may or may not have anything
                 to do with what I was actually thinking...