[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Compaq VGA Monitor

is813cs@pyr.gatech.EDU (Cris Simpson) (03/24/89)

   I recently received a Compaq with the Compaq VGC and Compaq
VGA 420 monitor.  The first monitor had been dropped in shipping, and
the guns were obviously out of whack.  I got a new one, not obviously
dropped.  The new one is not very sharp, especially when cold.  It
is much less sharp than a Mitsubishi 1429C.  Is this Compaq monitor just
a lemon, or are they all this bad?

Thanks,
cris

cook@stout.ucar.edu (Forrest Cook) (03/25/89)

In article <7706@pyr.gatech.EDU> is813cs@pyr.gatech.edu (Cris Simpson) writes:

>   I recently received a Compaq with the Compaq VGC and Compaq
>VGA 420 monitor.
>The new one is not very sharp, especially when cold.
>It is much less sharp than a Mitsubishi 1429C.
>Is this Compaq monitor just a lemon, or are they all this bad?

Before you waste a lot of your time (and Compaq's for that matter) try
adjusting the focus pot on the back of the monitor.  It is likely that
the vibration received during shipping was enough to make the thing go
out of focus.  We just received a color monitor with the same problem
and I was able to cure it in a couple of minutes.  The focus control is
usually located on or near the flyback transformer.  The flyback is the
box that is located at the lower end of the thick red wire that goes
to the side of the CRT.  BE CAREFUL NOT TO SHOCK YOURSELF, the CRT
is charged up to around 25,000 Volts when running and usually holds
many thousand volts of charge when the monitor is off.  Take the
back off of the monitor, connect it to the computer and let it warm up
a few minutes and then adjust the focus control for the sharpest
picture.  Some monitors will have a change in focus for a change in
screen brightness, so display something that lights up quite a few of
the pixels before adjusting.  You may want to optimize it for text or
blocky graphics depending on your typical usage patterns.

P.S.  The focus control usually has the word "FOCUS" written on or near
it :-).

 ^   ^  Forrest Cook	"Elvis is Everywhere - Mojo Nixon"
/|\ /|\ cook@stout.ucar.edu (The preceeding was my OPINION)
/|\ /|\ {husc6|rutgers|ames|gatech}!ncar!stout!cook
/|\ /|\ {uunet|ucbvax|allegra|cbosgd}!nbires!ncar!stout!cook