[comp.sys.ibm.pc] writing to right protected 5.25 inch disks

mdlawler@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Lawler) (03/19/89)

I'd like to be able to write to some disks that don't have right protect
noches without having to make a noch in them.  Does anyone know of software
that will allow you to write to a right protected disk?
Thanks for any replies.
--
Mike Lawler         UUCP:  <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mdlawler
                    ARPA:  mdlawler@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

wheels@mks.UUCP (Gerry Wheeler) (03/21/89)

In article <6225@bsu-cs.UUCP>, mdlawler@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Lawler) writes:
> I'd like to be able to write to some disks that don't have right protect
> noches without having to make a noch in them.  Does anyone know of software
> that will allow you to write to a right protected disk?

Software will not usually get around this problem, as the electronics in
the disk drive will also be involved.  What I did was locate the write
protect sensor and add a jumper.  Most drives now use an infrared
sensor, and its resistance drops when illuminated (when the disk is
writable).  So, all I did was jumper across it (short it out) to
simulate a write enabled disk.

--
     Gerry Wheeler                           Phone: (519)884-2251
Mortice Kern Systems Inc.               UUCP: uunet!watmath!mks!wheels

del@Data-IO.COM (Erik Lindberg) (03/21/89)

In article <6225@bsu-cs.UUCP> mdlawler@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Lawler) writes:

>I'd like to be able to write to some disks that don't have right protect
>noches without having to make a noch in them.  Does anyone know of software
>that will allow you to write to a right protected disk?
>Thanks for any replies.
>--

This is absolutely impossible to do in software, as the write protect
is controlled in hardware on the disk drive itself.  You can write
software that will ignore the writeprotect status bit and write to
the drive anyway, but the drive will not enable the write gate and
nothing will happen to the disk.  Assuming that you really want to
do this for legitimate purposes (of which there are several) and
are not just figuring a new twist on viri, your only option is to
modify the circuitry of the drive so that it no longer has a write
protect detection.  This will allow you to write to the notchless
disks, with no special software.  You still will no be able to
*distribute* software that can do this, but none of the legitimate
reasons for doing this require distribution :-)

--
del (Erik Lindberg)
uw-beaver!tikal!pilchuck!del

jbayer@ispi.UUCP (Jonathan Bayer) (03/23/89)

In article <6225@bsu-cs.UUCP> mdlawler@bsu-cs.UUCP (Mike Lawler) writes:

>I'd like to be able to write to some disks that don't have right protect
>noches without having to make a noch in them.  Does anyone know of software
>that will allow you to write to a right protected disk?

This is a hardware modification, not a software mod.  You will have to
modify the floppy drive to ignore the write-protect line.  On older
drivers it was an actual mechanical switch, but on the newer drives it
is an led.

JB

--
Jonathan Bayer			      Beware: The light at the end of the
Intelligent Software Products, Inc.	      tunnel may be an oncoming dragon

bill@bilver.UUCP (bill vermillion) (03/25/89)

}>
}
}This is a hardware modification, not a software mod.  You will have to
}modify the floppy drive to ignore the write-protect line.  On older
}drivers it was an actual mechanical switch, but on the newer drives it
}is an led.
}
}
And on many floppy drives (not all) there is a jumper to reverse the action of
the wp sensor.
--
Bill Vermillion - UUCP: {uiucuxc,hoptoad,petsd}!peora!rtmvax!bilver!bill
                      : bill@bilver.UUCP