[comp.sys.ibm.pc] EPSON LQ500 Printer

gey@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Yingling) (03/23/89)

I just purchased an EPSON LQ500 printer and have tried to
get some of the special printing to work but haven't had any
success.  I have called the dealer and they didn't know either.
The printer manual describes two features called OUTLINE and
SHADOW, but they don't explain how to get this feature.  The
command summary in the manual does not reference any commands
either.  The dealer thought I had to purchase a special font
or it might be a soft font but couldn't give a solid answer.
Anyone have any experience with the LQ500?  I need help.
Jerry Yingling

irv@blackwidow.rutgers.edu (Irving N. Rabinowitz) (03/24/89)

In article <9810@ihlpl.ATT.COM> gey@ihlpl.ATT.COM (Yingling) writes:

> I just purchased an EPSON LQ500 printer and have tried to

> The printer manual describes two features called OUTLINE and
> SHADOW, but they don't explain how to get this feature.  The

> Jerry Yingling

The manual I have is numbered (on the front cover) Y56699101002, and is called
"User's Manual".  Hiding on page 9-30, in the Command Summary for ESC q,
"Select Character Style", is the outline/shadow stuff.  In short,

	ESC q 0 selects normal style
	ESC q 1    "    outline  "
	ESC q 2    "    shadow   "
	ESC q 3    "    outline with shadow

(These digits are the ASCII control characters ^@, ^A, ^B, ^C, not the
characters "0", "1", "2", "3".)

It actually works, and looks pretty good!

Enjoy!
--

					--Irv

     |  Irving N. Rabinowitz			irv@aramis.rutgers.edu  |
     |  Department of Computer Science                                  |
     |  Rutgers University			(201)932-2002           |
     |  New Brunswick, NJ 08903                                         |

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (03/25/89)

The "select character style" allows outline and/or shadow to be selected.
I use double high characters in outline style for printing the program
name on diskette labels.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF