[comp.sys.ibm.pc] VGA Cards

Howard.Spindel@busker.FIDONET.ORG (Howard Spindel) (10/29/88)

>From: slezakm@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Mark Slezak)
>Date: 16 Oct 88 07:44:24 GMT
>Newsgroups: comp.sys.ibm.pc,comp.binaries.ibm.pc.d
>
>Hello,
>
>I have a PS/2 model 30 and am looking for a VGA card. I would like some
>recomendations from anyone who is happy with their VGA cards. I don't
want to
>buy another Video Seven VGEA VGA card.

I am using a Sigma Designs VGA/H card with an NEC Multisync Plus and am
pretty pleased with the combination.  So far the card has worked fine
with all software designed for MDA, Herc, CGA, EGA, and VGA - it has a
program that you run to tell the card what kind of emulation you want.  I
have encountered one minor problem with Sidekick not restoring the screen
properly in EGA emulation, but since I always leave the card in VGA
emulation it does not bother me.
I purchased the card mail order from California Digital.  I believe the
price was $269.
I also had a Vega Video 7 board before the Sigma Designs board and wound
up returning it because it would not work properly.

--
Howard Spindel - via FidoNet node 1:105/14
	    UUCP: ...!{uunet!oresoft, tektronix!reed}!busker!Howard.Spindel

slezakm@jacobs.CS.ORST.EDU (Mark Slezak) (10/31/88)

Thanks' to all who posted and sent suggestions. I ended up getting the
Orchid Designer VGA card, and it works just fine. Well other than not wanting
to run with MOUSE.SYS loaded that is. No big problem, I just droped back to
MOUSE.COM...

For those who are interested in such things, the majorty of the replys I
recieved recomended the Orchid card, with a very close second for Paridise +.
I in fact was going to get the Paridise, but it was out of stock every where
I called. And seeing how as I am not after all that speed the Paridise offers
I settled for the Orchid.

Mark.
{tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!jacobs!CS.ORST.EDU!slezakm
Report loss or thief to the address above.

c60c-4ec@web-1a.berkeley.edu (03/25/89)

I am currently looking for a VGA card for my 386 system.  The final
decision has come down to two cards, the Paradise VGA Pro and the
Video-7 Fastwrite VGA.  What I'm worried about is the Fastwrite's
compatibility.  Does anybody out there have a Fastwrite that is willing
to tell me what he/she thinks of the card?  Please e-mail me your
thoughts.   If there are enough responses or enough interest, I'll
summarize on the net.  Thanks.

George Voon
c60c-4ec@web.Berkeley.edu
..!ucbvax!web!c60c-4ec