[comp.sys.ibm.pc] High Volume Laser Printers: Recommendations?

ins_agwa@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gunther Wil Anderson) (03/23/89)

Has anyone experience with laser printers in really high volume
uses? We're currently using a Kyocera F1010, and it's just not
taking the heat. We need something that can take at least 5,000
pages a month and not (often) stutter. We now have problems with
text placement on the page, as well as other weathering-related
difficulties.

If anyone has any experience in thin, either positive or negative,
please respond via e-mail (no use tying up the net unless there's
a real call for it).

If it's really popular, I'll post a summary.

						Gunther Anderson
						ins_agwa@jhunix.bitnet
						ins_agwa@jhuvms.bitnet
						g49i3381@jhuvm.bitnet

u-dmfloy%ug.utah.edu@wasatch.UUCP (Daniel M Floyd) (03/25/89)

In article <1189@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU> ins_agwa@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU (Gunther Wil Anderson) writes:
>Has anyone experience with laser printers in really high volume
>uses? We're currently using a Kyocera F1010, and it's just not
>taking the heat. ... at least 5,000
>pages a month  ... problems with text placement on the page...
>other difficulties.

I've have not pushed my 9 month old Toshiba PageLaser12 to capacity. But
I don't doubt it could do the 25,000 pages per month as advertised.
Of course, somebody has to change toner, paper and such once in a while. ;-)
It does 10 pages per minute (They advertise 11). Postscript? Yes. I think
a third party vendor makes a package for doing Postscript on the PageLaser12.
Toshiba could tell you where to get that. You can do legal size paper.
You can get it with envelope feeder, extra paper bins (total 3 at
250 sheets per - which I can get you automatic change bins when paper-out),
and a collator. Base price they say is $3799 (according to PC Magazine
Octorber, 1988) - which is what mine cost. The accessories, of course,
cost more. Service is excellent. Try it you'll like it.

I don't use mine enough to justify the space for it in my home.
Anybody want my used PageLaser12?
E-mail:
   u-dmfloy@ug.utah.edu.UUCP

OR:
  Call
  Dan
   (801) 561-6074

Dan
8<D=

(BTW. I thought the nature of the question justified offer for sale,
 and the nature of the reply justified posting rather than personal
 e-mail.) (:-)
Dan Floyd
8<D=

Addman@cup.portal.com (Dennis A Lish) (03/26/89)

Hi Gunther,
 I have the Xerox 4045.  It's rated for a million copies before a major over-
haul and I think it's also rated for 15,000 copies per month.

I'm interested in selling mine because I got an HP LaserJet for my tax program
that I share with my partners.  The 4045 is like a tank compared to the
LaserJet.  I know they use something like 8 4045's at Unysys(Sperry) here in
NY and the swear by their reliablity.

Let me know if you're interested.

Dennis