[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Hard drive problems...

cindi@bucsb.UUCP (Cindi Fong) (03/17/89)

	I'm sure this has already been talked/typed to death but
here goes... I have a Seagate ST225 w/ a Western Digital controller
and the drive started acting up several months ago.
	First, it seems to be impossible to get the system to boot
off the HD on the first try.  It usually requires several <ctrl-alt-del>
to get it to work.  The usual error msg is 'Bad or missing command
interpreter'.
	That I've pretty much ignored it for a few months (it was just a bit
of a nuisance) but now the drive is having problems locating files
 (I guess it is time to worry a bit!)
	Before I attempt to reformat the whole drive, will this cure the
problem?  Hopefully this fix is permanent...
(or will it not help at all?)

Reply by mail just to cut down on the traffic here....thanks

--
vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv

georgep@vice.ICO.TEK.COM (George Pell) (03/27/89)

In article <2406@bucsb.UUCP> cindi@bucsb.UUCP (Cindi Fong) writes:

>	I'm sure this has already been talked/typed to death but
>here goes... I have a Seagate ST225 w/ a Western Digital controller
>and the drive started acting up several months ago.
>	First, it seems to be impossible to get the system to boot
>off the HD on the first try.  It usually requires several <ctrl-alt-del>
>to get it to work.  The usual error msg is 'Bad or missing command

>	Before I attempt to reformat the whole drive, will this cure the
>problem?  Hopefully this fix is permanent...
>(or will it not help at all?)

I experianced an identical problem, the solution was an
Adaptec ACB-2072 controller ($70 at company discount).

No amount of re-formatting including low level formatting will
make the problem go away!

Anyone want to buy a WD1002A-27X controller board cheap???
Like new condition (bugs and all). Used very little.

geo