[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Maxtor 1140 query

marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) (03/21/89)

  Does anyone have information on the Maxtor 1140? I believe its a
170meg, 28ms full height drive. The one I'm looking at has it's own
controller with a standard IBM interface. I believe it was purchased
around 1985.
  In particular:
     Are these drives dependable, even when 4 years old?
     Are they actually 170megs @ 28ms?
     What is a good price to pay for one?
     Are there any peculiarities I might look for in this drive or in
       drive this size?
     What is the power consumption of the 1140?

  Thanks in advance,
         Roger Marquis  (marquis@ucbqal.bitnet)

dts@cloud9.Stratus.COM (Daniel Senie) (03/24/89)

In article <21864@agate.BERKELEY.EDU>, marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) writes:

>   Does anyone have information on the Maxtor 1140? I believe its a
> 170meg, 28ms full height drive. The one I'm looking at has it's own
> controller with a standard IBM interface. I believe it was purchased
> around 1985.
>   In particular:
>      Are these drives dependable, even when 4 years old?
>      Are they actually 170megs @ 28ms?
>      What is a good price to pay for one?
>      Are there any peculiarities I might look for in this drive or in
>        drive this size?

Be careful with this particular vintage drive. The drive is an MFM style.
It works with the hard disk controllers in just about every AT and 386
machine. Its drive designation is in the first 15, so it even exists in the
BIOSs of VERY early ATs.

The drive formats to 110MB, not 170MB. Access is around 28ms.

I tried a used one of these drives that someone at work had kicking around from
a previous company. The thing had a LOUD high pitch whistle. I believe the
bearings on the drive were SHOT! It was a few years old and had received
fairly continuous use... Your milage may vary...

If you really want a large disk and can afford it, the speed difference of
ESDI is worth it...

--
Daniel Senie               UUCP: harvard!ulowell!cloud9!dts
Stratus Computer, Inc.     ARPA: anvil!cloud9!dts@harvard.harvard.edu

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (03/25/89)

In article <21864@agate.BERKELEY.EDU> marquis@qal.qal.berkeley.edu (Roger Marquis) writes:

>  Does anyone have information on the Maxtor 1140? I believe its a
>170meg, 28ms full height drive. The one I'm looking at has it's own
>controller with a standard IBM interface. I believe it was purchased
>around 1985.

I assume you mean someone is tossing in a controller with the drive.  The
1140 is a standard MFM drive, It is an OEM version of the Newbury NDR1140,
or so I have been informed, same spec's, same circuit board, same
appearance.

>     Are these drives dependable, even when 4 years old?

Well, mine is only two years old, but it has run flawlessly during that
period 24 hours a day, seven days a week. (Oh, I should say mine is the
Newbury version).  You should be aware that the specs state the drive has
a MTBF of 20,000 hours (about 5 years).

>     Are they actually 170megs @ 28ms?

Its 140 mb. (unformated) or about 115-120 mb. formatted.  Note that I
have been using mine reliably with a RLL controller without problems and
so get about 200 mb. out of it.  Newbury informs me that historically
they do just fine with RLL but they make no guarantees.  They also asked
how old my drive was when I inquired, so maybe age is an important
factor.

I was also recently told by a fellow usenet "person" that the 1140 and
the 2190 where the same drives.  He said that the 2190 had been tested
and passed QC on the innermost 200 tracks.  If this is true, and I
haven't looked into it (comments please) you could potentially tell the
system that your 1140 had 1224 cylinders, test them and get about 160 mb.
out of the 1140.

I'd really check to see if this is true and tested by others before you
attempt it though.

>     What is a good price to pay for one?

I recently posted an article (about two weeks ago), in several newsgroups
including misc.forsale, announcing the liquidation of Newbury's stock of
hard drives.  The NDR 1140 was being blown out at $1095 new.  Check your
old news for this article, or maybe someone can mail you a copy.  I don't
have it any more.  I think it may be to late to take advantage of the
offer though, a friend called me last night to tell me that he had
ordered a couple drives and they were darned near out of everything.

>     Are there any peculiarities I might look for in this drive or in
>       drive this size?

Its noisy (tic tic tic), but not peculiar, IMHO that is.

>     What is the power consumption of the 1140?

Sorry, manual it not at hand, but the AT power supply handles it just
fine along with another drive (ST4096).

Hope that helps, have a good one!

Noel
--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com

keithe@tekgvs.LABS.TEK.COM (Keith Ericson) (03/27/89)

In article noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) writes:

<I was also recently told by a fellow usenet "person" that the 1140 and
<the 2190 where the same drives.  He said that the 2190 had been tested
<and passed QC on the innermost 200 tracks.  If this is true, and I
<haven't looked into it (comments please) you could potentially tell the
<system that your 1140 had 1224 cylinders, test them and get about 160 mb.
<out of the 1140.

We've found the 1140 to be "expandable" to 2190 specifications with very
little problem, except that DOS can't access more than 1024 cylinders.

So, we've put Adaptec 2372 RLL controllers on 'em and they work just fine.
The 2372's map the cylinders so DOS thinks it's playing with a 1024-cylinder
drive.  The nice thing about a 2372 is that it will do _it's_ surface
verification test and map out individual sectors instead of wiping out
an entire track.

That's right: RLL on the Maxtor 1140 running to 1224 cylinders.  As I recall
it's good for ~240 Megabytes, formatted.

kEITHe

Ed.Maurer@p4.f10.n135.z1.fidonet.org (Ed Maurer) (03/27/89)

Many of the early vintage (and even some more recent) Maxtor's have been
very noisy. Had one so bad it made working near by trying, but since it was
in a dedicated server, it really didn't matter. Despite the noise, it
outlived drive 2, a new Seagate - 3+ years in a heavily used Server, with
Adaptec and format @ 240Mb...(yes, 240Mb. The later Maxtor's are certified
RLL, but there is apparantly no physical difference.)

//Ed Maurer//

--
Ed Maurer - via FidoNet node 1:135/3
Medical Software Exchange BBS (305) 325-8709