[comp.sys.ibm.pc] Zenith XT Turbo Users?

terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric Terrell) (03/24/89)

Although I'm not a computer novice, I'm new to the IBM PC world.

I'd welcome the opportunity to correspond with other owners
of the Zenith XT Turbo (CGA, 20 Meg HD, 720k 3.5 disk).

In fact, I already have some questions:

1.	Is this computer socketed for an 8087?

2.	Can it take a 5.25 floppy drive?  Must this drive be
	external?  From whom is the drive available?

Thanks in advance,

Eric Terrell (att!druhi!terrell)

michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michel Biedermann) (03/25/89)

In article <4075@druhi.ATT.COM>, terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric Terrell) writes:
> I'd welcome the opportunity to correspond with other owners
> of the Zenith XT Turbo (CGA, 20 Meg HD, 720k 3.5 disk).
> 1.	Is this computer socketed for an 8087?
>
> 2.	Can it take a 5.25 floppy drive?  Must this drive be
> 	external?  From whom is the drive available?

If by Zenith XT Turbo you mean any of the Zenith XT machines running at 8Mhz
(Z-158, and Z-159) then I can answer both of your questions.  They both can
accept an 8087 chip.  As far as installing a 5.25" drive in a machine that
already has a hard drive and a primary floppy drive, you must first lower
the hard drive to the very bottom of the machine (it just fits) in order to
room for the second floppy drive.  As far as controller and ROM chips you
will have to check with you local service center to find out what you need.

Any more questions?

Michel Biedermann         michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu
U. of Oregon
ZENITH Student Rep.

nts0302@dsacg3.UUCP (Bob Fisher) (03/27/89)

From article <327@oregon.uoregon.edu>, by michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michel Biedermann):
+ In article <4075@druhi.ATT.COM>, terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric Terrell) writes:
+ If by Zenith XT Turbo you mean any of the Zenith XT machines running at 8Mhz
+ (Z-158, and Z-159) then I can answer both of your questions.  They both can
+ accept an 8087 chip.  As far as installing a 5.25" drive in a machine that
+ already has a hard drive and a primary floppy drive, you must first lower
+ the hard drive to the very bottom of the machine (it just fits) in order to
+ room for the second floppy drive.

I had heard of squeezing three drives into a Z-158.  My local Heath store
recommends against it because of heat problems.
--
Bob Fisher (osu-cis!dsacg1!bfisher) 614-238-9071 (Autovon 850-9071)
From the Internet: bfisher%dsacg1.uucp@daitc.arpa

noel@ubbs-nh.MV.COM (Noel Del More) (03/28/89)

In article <327@oregon.uoregon.edu> michelbi@oregon.uoregon.edu (Michel Biedermann) writes:
>In article <4075@druhi.ATT.COM>, terrell@druhi.ATT.COM (Eric Terrell) writes:
>> I'd welcome the opportunity to correspond with other owners
>> of the Zenith XT Turbo (CGA, 20 Meg HD, 720k 3.5 disk).
>> 1.	Is this computer socketed for an 8087?
>>
>> 2.	Can it take a 5.25 floppy drive?  Must this drive be
>> 	external?  From whom is the drive available?

All of the Zenith PC/XT compatible systems, ie. Z-150, Z-160, Z-151,
Z-152, Z-158 ext. are socketed for the 8087.  Be sure to get a
co-processor rated for the speed at which the CPU runs.  The 158 and up
run at 4.7/8 Mhz., the earlier systems run at 4.7 unless they have been
souped up.

All of the "150" series systems can handle two half height floppies and
one half height hard disk.  You need to drop the hard disk into the
bottom of the mounting bracket, holes are already their, be sure to use
short screws (1/4") to secure the drive as you no longer have the plastic
hanger in the way and to long of a screw may cause damage/problems to the
HD.

You may have to trim the bottom 1/4" off the drive "B" plastic drive
hangers to get everything to fit.  Use sharp scissors or dikes to cut it,
it will act as a spacer only, but the screws will hold the drive ok.

Zenith used only Mitsubishi, Panasonic, and way back when, Shugart
drives.  Shugart was bought by Panasonic so no diff their.  So check to
see what you have and go by the same type.

You will also need a power splitter cable (y cable).  Run the HD off a
main power cable, split the other power cable with the y cable and run it
to the floppies.

Problems, NONE.  Limitations, you don't get to see the HD idiot light.

Noel
(former ZDS'er)

P.S.  I've done this on hundreds of machines, if you have problems send
email, but don't ask ridiculous questions.  Open the box, look around,
use your noggin, than ask me specifics.  If you can't find a power
splitter cable I can refer you to a source.

--
Noel B. Del More             |              {decvax|harvard}!zinn!ubbs-nh!noel
17 Meredith Drive            |                             noel@ubbs-nh.mv.com